Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 perfectly tuned bows >

perfectly tuned bows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

perfectly tuned bows

Old 07-28-2006, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: perfectly tuned bows

If right clicking and copying and pasting doesn't work for you... try this:

To copy text, highlight it and then press Ctrl + 'C'

To paste press Ctrl + 'V'
Old 07-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

This tuning thing comes up a lot, and it should since it is so important to good arrow flight, tight groups, broadhead consistency, and penetration in animals.

Paper is a rough tune (and you must check it at several distances for it to be of any use at all), bareshaft tuning gets you much much better, and then there are some other things worth doing too, like broadhead tuning if you hunt.

I'm a big proponent of bareshaft tuning, as is Paul. Sorry to seeyou had trouble buddy. He explains it well, and often. Check recent posts of his or look for tuning topics in the last few pages of Technical. Now, to be clear, I'm not talking about just the 'bareshaft tuning' where you shoot at very close range to seeif thearrow is leaving the bow at an angle.

I'm talking aboutshooting groups of fletched an unfletchedshaftsat several distances out past your max hunting range. You then compare the distance between the two groups. Make adjustments, and then do it again until the groups of fletched and unfletched shafts are superimposed on each other-meaning that they are centered at the same spot.

This can tell you WAY WAY more about what your arrows are doing in the air than paper,and the end result is amazing. When you get it dialed in, there is no wobble, kick, corckscrew, or anything in your arrow's path except a bit of drop. It's beautiful when you get it. Check it out, and see for yourself.

-Bulz
Old 07-28-2006, 11:22 AM

If right clicking and copying and pasting doesn't work for you... try this:

To copy text, highlight it and then press Ctrl + 'C'

To paste press Ctrl + 'P'

This is what control C did, it copied it, but it put it made it a quote as soon as I opened the message window, I didn't "put" it there, it just happened. Control P opens my Printer properties menu. I just printed a pretty copy of this message window.

The problem is there is when you right click there is on option to paste. You can select all and copy, but it does you no godd when there is no option to paste. It doesn't read the window as text, it reads it as some sort web page or something? I don't know that much about HTML so I don't know how to explain it. All I know is the menu that pops up when you right click here is not the same menu I get on any other message board.

Paul
Old 07-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

My bad....

Not control 'P' use control +'V'
Old 07-28-2006, 11:27 AM

Hey, you edited your message, control V works. Thanks a million, saved me many a headaches. Whish I would have known this sooner. I will test it and see if it works with WORD as well. And the cool thing is a just found out an easy way to quote people. Which sort of annoys me actually, so I doubt I will do it much.

I will get back on topic now. I will post my opinions on tuning in a little while if I have time. Sorry for Hi Jacking the thread.

Paul
Old 07-28-2006, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Glad to help. Even if it takes me a couple of trys...

Old 07-28-2006, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel I should explain a bit further:

Why would you want fletched and unfletched shafts to hit the same spot?
Who cares? Won't we always shoot with fletched shafts?

The reason is this...
If they are hitting different places, then your fletching is compensating for some mismatch of forces within the bow/arrow/shooter system. The bare shafts are showing you the raw data (what the arrow wants to do from being acted on by the bow and shooter, a scientific 'control' if you will), and the fletched ones are showing you what your fletches are doing to the arrow's flight because things aren't right.

You don't want to rely on your fletch to get the arrow going in the right direction with the right orientation. The shaft's spine, rest, your form, and stuff should take care of that.The fletch is just there to keep the arrow on it's path and provide stability once it's in flight.

Even if you are shooting bullet holes in paper, you can still have a foot or more of difference in point of impact at 20 or 30 yards. When you bareshaft it down to hitting the same spot, paper will still show you a bullet hole.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wish my trilogy was perfected.

Control +C , my oh my where has that trick been!!
NowI can spell check my post on word again, thanks for the tip!