Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Draw Weight Ques. >

Draw Weight Ques.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw Weight Ques.

Old 07-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Draw Weight Ques.

Just a thought. Maybe you should get a bow that will shoot higher poundage than your used to that way after a couple years of shooting if you feel like you can pull back a heavier weight it can be adjusted up.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:25 PM
RKP

river otter i was considering a liberty as well and setting it at about 62-64# i used to shoot 65-70 on an old Pse bow so in your experience i gues i should notice a huge difference stil w/o out having to drop weight
Old 07-05-2006, 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: RKP

river otter i was considering a liberty as well and setting it at about 62-64# i used to shoot 65-70 on an old Pse bow so in your experience i gues i should notice a huge difference stil w/o out having to drop weight
I can't guarantee it since I haven't drawn your PSE bow, but I would suspect that you will still find the Liberty to be much smoother and easier to draw. The cycle is a lot less linear than the old styles, and I guess the valley just gives the momentum to get the pull done smoothly so the peak isn't as apparent (at least to me). I initially had mine set at 64# when I bought it, and after practicing for a month or so maxed it out. When it's maxed out I can definitely tell it's more than the 58# that I was pulling on the old bow, but it doesn't seem like a 12# increment. Your mileage may vary, but I was merely suggesting in my prior post that you may not want to rule out the 60-70# bow if you're looking for something that pulls like your current bow does at ~62#. I don't know the speed on your old bow, but I would be fairly confident that the Liberty at 60# shoots a similar speed to what your PSE was shooting at 70#...meaning that you would be adequately armed with the 50-60# bow near it's max.

I forgot to address one of your other concerns in my prior post...you stated that you don't feel comfortable with your current bow if you have to hold your draw for an extended amount of time. Again without knowing what bow you have I can't tell you for certain, but it's likely that if it's older your bow has about a 65% letoff. Many of the newer bows (including the Liberty) have an adjustable letoff and come set at 80%. While many are happier witha 65% letoff when target shooting, I've found that the 80% letoff in the deer stand to be a great asset. It's far easier to hold it for an extended time if circumstances dictate (I held for ~2 minutes and made the shot needed last fall). If you can, try pulling them both at the shop and have them check the poundage on a scale so you aren't guessing what they're set at.

Lastly, whatever you choose, walk out of the shop confident that you've gotten what suits your needs and desires, and then don't read any more posts about new bows lest you absorb the new bow hype of next years models and startthe vicious cycle that many of the members on this forum subscribe to. I've tempted fate a few times by reading here, but I'm still happy with my bow and have resisted any temptation to "upgrade."
Old 07-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sagittarius

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

I think there is an untapped market for 55 - 65 pound bows. I think bow companies should sell "half sizes" if you know what i mean. Like 50-60, 55-65, 60-70, 65-75, etc.
I have a custom Accu-Riser with a set of 55-65 lb Barnsdale limbs and thinkthey're great. [8D]
Dave Barnsdale is the only guy who makes limbs in that range that I know of.

Sag.
Sag, jsut for informational; purposes you can order Martin bows with different limb deflections that allow for as little as 3# difference, similar to Barnsdale. For instance I ordered a bow this year that comes standard at 2L limbs (35-50 #). The next range up is 4L limbs (45-60 #). Well, I wanted to peak at 55 # so I ordered it with 3L limbs for a 40-55 # range. If I wanted to go a little higher I could get 3M limbs and it would peak at 57-58#, Get the picture?

You just won't find them on the shelf that way, though.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

BGf,

Thanks for the information on Martin limbs.
I remember reading a few years ago about their 15 lb range but didn't know about the 3 lb difference in peak weight.
If I wasn't so taken by Stewart's bows, I wouldn't mind having a Martin Razor X with Nitrous X cams.

Sag.