Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Increasing KE

Old 10-31-2002, 11:20 AM

Default Increasing KE

I have a PSE Nova that's 3 years old. It has the dual energy wheels currently with a 29.5" draw set at eighty pounds (the limbs are bottomed out in the pockets). I recently put it through a chronograph and got a terrible 240 fps. Using this along with my arrow weight of 430.8 grains, I found my KE to be 55 ft/lbs. Anybody know of any little tricks to squeeze extra speed out of the bow to help increase KE?

I have already taken silencers off and switched to leeches. Since my bow is bottomed out, I can't increase weight any further. I also placed 5 eliminator bottons on each end of the string just clear of the energy wheels. That gained about 3 fps for me. I'm thinking of removing the two brass nocks and serving one from fast flite serving. I could remove the peep with tubing, although I'd rather keep that for hunting. Any other ideas?
Old 10-31-2002, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Increasing KE

Assuming you do NOT want to reduce arrow weight, which wouldn't help you gain ke anyway, I think about the last thing I can think of is to remove the peep and go peepless, either by tying a piece of colored thread onto your serving that lines up with your pin to get you in the same anchor, or better yet install a No-peep.

Taking that peep and tube off your bow will definitely let you pick up fps, how much remains to be seen, but I'd guesstimate 5-10 fps.

Pulling 80#s to get 55# of ke? Not trying to be a smart $*&, buthave you put serious thought into a new bow? This strikes me as a bit outdated given today's technology. I'm pulling 70# with a 28" draw and am getting around 74# of ke...

Old 10-31-2002, 12:04 PM

Default RE: Increasing KE

Rangeball,

I am planning on purchasing a new bow soon. I'm just waiting till Mathews 2003 models come out so I can compare with Bowtech and make my decision. Right now I'm leaning towards the BKII, Patriot, or Q2XL.

I didn't mention before that I'm using the MZE. I realize that this also takes a little speed away, but its a great rest.