Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Increasing distance

Old 10-13-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Increasing distance

I have stated many times that I would take around a 18 yard shoton big game. Well things change, now I would confidently shoot a deer (big game animal) at 25 yards. Why this increas in yards? Well its simple, I started shooting out that far, and it is not that hard. I would almost say it iseasier, not sure why. A long shot is a beautiful thing to see.I seem more relaxed when I am looking at the target along way off.Today I shot a few 45 yard shots and no bull the first two were in a 2in bullseye,the third was 3in low and I dont want to talk about the4th .3 kill shoots in a row, not bad at 45yards.
Somove back alittle and see how you do.
I love the fall, saw twosmall deer this am on a cx ski trail, 60 yards out. COOL
Old 10-13-2005, 09:02 PM

Default RE: Increasing distance

Thats great shooting!!! I was very confident out to 20-25yds..... But haven't had much time to shoot the last month or so, so when I do I only shoot at 15yds and in..... So as of now my range in 15yds......
Old 10-13-2005, 09:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I used to practice a lot at 60 yards, and I was pretty darn good. It helped me establish a consistent draw length. But that was at my old club, where we had great big excelsior target butts sitting on pallets. A miss was just a miss. Might lose a field point in the wood, but the arrow would be okay.

At the club where I am now, we've got bag targets hanging on metal stands. It's amazing how often my arrows hit the 2" wide steel frames. There is no hope for the arrow then. They are always destroyed. It got to the point Isimply couldn't afford to practice at long range any more. And now I shoot terrible.[&o]

I'm still a great believer in long range practice though.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:41 AM

Thats funny, I have been shooting short range, yesterday I decided to go back 10 and 15 yards further out to about 25 and 30 yards and I had much tighter groupings.

I am going to shoot farther alot more now. I agree it great to see the longer ones hit the mark. I hope nothing comes in close because I will prolly miss.

cyberg
Old 10-14-2005, 01:06 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Practice all all ranges if you can. Even 80-100 yds--it will really help you work on form and consistency. Don't forget to practice the close ones too--I've seen a lot of guys blow those "gimme" shots at tournaments--done it myself a time or three!

Chad