Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sight Picture

Old 06-03-2006, 08:07 AM
Spike

Default Sight Picture

I just put a new sight on my PSE Nitro. Its a custom series sight by Fuse accessories. Its pretty much the same as a Cobra Sidewinder. 5 pins.

My question is, what is the sight picture I should be looking for with it? It has a round face with a bright green rim. Should I be able to see this rim inside my peep? Should I keep all 5 pins centered in my peep or center the pin I need for the range needed? Or is it a personal preference.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sight Picture

The trend today, and a good one, is to pick a peep with a hole diameter that lets you encircle your pin guard and then aim with the appropriate pin. Centering the pin guard allows you to see if you are anchoring properly or torquing the bow.

If the hole diameter isn't big enough then you can often drill them out, removed from the string, though. Or if you use a tubeless peep then you can use a Specialty Super Ball peep that is threaded and accepts different size inserts. I find these especially good as I can use a smaller insert for target and 3D and then for hunting just remove the insert and have a bigger hole to allow more light through.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I took my peep off entirely last week. That is a sight picture I can deal with. It took a little getting used to. After shooting a few groups and making some adjustments to my sight,(fine tuning, nothing major), I really like the results. I wish I had done this sooner. Now my form really has to be on for accuracy. If any of my 3 anchor points is off, my shot is off. In just a week I've become a better shot. That is with a minimum of 30 shots a day practice, every day. I can see my target and my pins so much better and I really like what it does in low light conditions. I don't think I'll ever put one back on but who knows its only been 1 week. I think in time I'll just continue getting better.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:08 AM
Spike

How interesting, If I'm picturing what your saying correctly, your using the front sight only. No second reference point at all. That may be better than my skill at the moment. I've been around firearms all my life. This will be my 3rd year bowhunting. I think my brain will still need the 2 front and rear points for a while. I did see a bow sight called the eradicater that is just like a pistol sight. http:// www.eradicator.com . I wonder how that would work?

I really like the Super Ball peep idea so that I can change the arpeture size as I want.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well if this will be your 3rd year bow hunting you are 1 up on me. Last year was my first. I really thought this would be much more difficult. I'm really rather surprised at how easy this was to get used to.
There is only one VISIBLE reference, however I still have 3 physical reference points in my anchor points. As long as I put my knuckle, my kisser button, and my string in the same place for each shot I'm on.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've seen and thought of those super balls for a while and having a clarifer would help me getting older eyes out. It just goes against my grain to put something of that size, shape and weight on my string. And having pieces that are removable I could see heading off into the wild blue yonder at some point in time.

Wouldn't mind trying one to see though.