Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Need Help cant find a BH that shoot wherth a crap >

Need Help cant find a BH that shoot wherth a crap

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need Help cant find a BH that shoot wherth a crap

Old 04-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default Need Help cant find a BH that shoot wherth a crap

I have shot 4 blade muzzy's, magnus stingers, simmins land sharks in 2 blade, g-5 montecs, razorback's, slick tricks, androcky mountain ironheads all in 100 grain and now shoot anywhere close to how they shood. I shot easton axis in 340 cut to 28 inches with quickspins at about 285 fps. I have shot these arrow for about two years so they are probably getting worn out but would that make them arc left or right 6 to 10 inches. my field point shoot perfect 1-2 inchs groups out to 50yards. i dont know what i need to do. I m getting very frustrated never had a problem finding broadheads that shot good to great. am i under spined or shooting to fast for these heads i dont know what to do. I am counting on all of you out there to help me. I know there is a ton of experience and knowledge on here. Thanks to all that help.
mac87toy
Old 04-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Help cant find a BH that shoot wherth a crap

First thing I would reccomend is paper tuning.
What is your current setup? example---draw weight,draw length etc.

Your arrow,broadhead combination is arching 6-10 inches left or right.There obviously isnt any consistency on arrow flight so that to me would rule out the rest.
Arrow spine----That would be the first thing I would check.
Are your field tips the same weight as your broadheads?
Old 04-16-2006, 12:54 PM

I think if I were you,I would try some more diffrent fletching. Feathers with helical,and even blazers,or feathers with a slight offset. Also you may be shooting too heavy of arrow.It would be cheaper on you to get new fletching for your current arrows as opposed to getting new arrows. I shoot at 67 lbs pull at 28 inch draw and I use the 400s. I bet you can get your arrows to work, with diffrent fletching.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

my draw weight is 72-74 pounds, and my draw length is 29 inches. I know that the bow is tuned good. I do shot the same weight arrow all the time 411 grains. they have to be that heavy out here in idaho or at least over 400 grains. I shoot two diffrent types of flechings 1 is the 2.25 inch quickspins and the other is 4 inch duravans with a right helical both arrows have the same result. they are both out of the same bunch of arrows that are about two years old. I also shoot often, 50 to 100 arrows three to four days a week.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

Try to paper tune with a bare shaft first. I used to get the same results as you, until I bare shaft tuned. I would get a good hole with fletched arrows and still have some BH fly off to the right. Since BS tuning my BH fly the same as my FP with a variety of different fletching and wraps.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you have an arrow spinner to check alignment of the broadheads, and straightness of the arrows? Just my experience, but in a few months of daily or at least 3 days per week shooting, the accuracy of my Axis arrows went downhill pretty badly. When I got them new, only 3 out of the dozen did not spin very true. After 3 months of shooting 6 of them, only one spun decent anymore. You may not see that much difference with field pts, but with broadheads it will make a bigger difference. I had a similar experience with ACCs. I was shooting broadheads with the ones I had left over from about 2 years. When I made a very good shot with broadheads, the hit was right on. Seemed like any little bobble, and they were way off. Got a new 1/2 dozen, and I couldn't believe how much easier it was to shoot well with broadheads. IME, arrows are way more important to accuracy than most seem to think. Two years is a long time to shoot arrows (even carbon) and still expect them to shoot broadheads well.[&:]
Old 04-16-2006, 04:22 PM

there was another thread similar to this before,One of the more knowledgeable guy's talked about shooting the spine out of their arrows.Bet that could be a good possiblty here.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:26 PM

I think dynatec is on to something. Carbon arrows will lose spine, over time. I noticed this with Easton Red Lines. After shooting awhile, my groups opened up. Especially as I moved back, or shot broadheads. I also shoot fixed blades (Stingers and Slick Trick). I think the constant pounding into a target and beating a bow puts on an arrow contribute to this break down. I'm not downing Easton arrows, but the Axis arrows had this problem when first brought out. This may well be corrected now. Not knowing how long the arrows are, or how heavy a broadhead you're using, I can't say positively but, you may need a stiffer arrow, also. Re: your Allegiance, it is vitally important to set nock point level.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I find it amusing when people blame the broadheads. Each of the broadheads you brought up can drive tacks on a properly tuned bow with properly matched tuned arrows.

The above threads have some good tips to get you started.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for all the help. I am in no way blaming the broadheads for the poor arrow flight, i just know that some dont shot good out of surtent set ups. that is why after trying several reputable heads i am here asking these questions. I am shooting 100 grain heads and my arrows are cut to 28 inches, in the 340 spine. againg thanks for the help. Would it be a good idea to go with the 4 inch quickspins next time or are stay withthe 2.25? also would it make a diffrence switching to a 125 grain head?

Quick Reply: Need Help cant find a BH that shoot wherth a crap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.