Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Gold tips

Old 03-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default Gold tips

The other night I was pulling out my gold tips out of a target bag and ended up with 10 or so freaking mini splinters in my hand. It was a result of a nick in one of the shafts. Considering that there is no or little coating on gold tip expeditions is there anything that can be done to prevent this? Can floor urethane or clear lacquer be used or should I just stay away from these shafts? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:10 PM

Default RE: Gold tips

You're kidding right?[&:]
Old 03-22-2006, 09:26 PM

ORIGINAL: MilDotMaster

You're kidding right?[&:]
I am right with you. I think we have a jokester. I have never ever, EVER, had a splinter in my hand resulting to any carbon arrow, especially identifying Gold Tips as a problematic arrow. I just taking a wild guess, but I think its from your target.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:42 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Nope not joking at all guys. Just happened once. It came from a patch of the shaft that got a small glancing hit about the size of match head and probably a couple of thou deep (just the fibers on the surface). I did not slide my hand on it, just grabbed the shaft. I took some 600 paper to it and flexed the shaft and nothing showed up so I shot it again and am still shooting it. I have since sprayed the forward half with urethane just because I am a sissy. I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this and what they did about it. I still shoot them and still like them.
No guys, this is not a gold tip slamming post.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've never seen this with Gold tip's ,but i have seen it with a cheapy arrow .

nubo
Old 03-23-2006, 09:07 AM

"I heard they will crack from the nock end just from arrows close to them in the target"
Old 03-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

Never heard of it before either. Could be one slipped by quality control?
Old 03-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

No, I am absoultely sure it has nothing to do with the a defect at all. Its a case of a field point hitting a shaft and causing damage that couldn't be helped. Being made of graphite means its made of fine strands of carbon held together with resin that was damaged and consequently raised the carbon fibers that bacame splinters. I just wanted to know if anyone knew of a way to prevent raised splinters/fibers other than shooting one dot per arrow. Using urethane to coat the shaft seemed like it would work but I wanted to know if anything would work better.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:37 PM

If it splintered from a shot, throw it away. The integrity and strength of that shaft have been weakened. One arrow is much cheaper than hand surgery. Don't take the chance, seriously. I am not being an alarmist, just conservative.

JMAC