Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 arrow length....longer vs shorter >

arrow length....longer vs shorter

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrow length....longer vs shorter

Old 03-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default arrow length....longer vs shorter

ok so i am just about ready for a new bundle of arrows. i am shooting a switchback at 70lbs and 28 inches with a loop and peep. i started shooting carbon express maxima 350's at 27 3/4" with 4" helical feathers. i shot up most of those and am now shooting some goldtip hunter xt's 5575 at 27" with 4" helical feathers that i had leftover. should the length difference of 3/4" make a difference (seems like it should, but i don't know why)? my broad heads were flying good with the both shafts out past 40 yds. which length should i go for? Both leave pleanty of clearance with my rest. Is one going to give me more speed (the shorter lenght?)?
i am confused now. seems like there is a lot that goes into the "mechanics" of an arrow.
thanks folks
Old 03-07-2006, 10:25 AM

Default RE: arrow length....longer vs shorter

First let me say that an change in speed is going to be negligible just by cutting off an inch of arrow so I wouldn't even worry about it. What is most important is how well the arrows fly. You are shooting two different arrows at two different lengths, so you're not comparing apples to apples in that respect. Were I you I'd decide which arrow you like the most and get some more in the same size and length as what you are now shooting. They both shoot well for you so it's just a matter of you picking one.

Now, as far a ballistics are concerned, anyone who knows about bullets knows that a longer bullet is more accurate at long ranges. That's why you don't see short stubby bullets shot at 1000 yard targets or anywhere else that accuracy is the goal. The same holds true for arrows, although the range is not as great. A longer arrow will ultimately be more stable in flight. And this is another reason overdraws on bows have pretty much bit the dust.

Hope this helps.