Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow Length a little longer then draw >

Arrow Length a little longer then draw

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Length a little longer then draw

Old 08-07-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Arrow Length a little longer then draw

I just bought 6 new pse arrows that are the same exact kind as the ones i had fitted earlier this year. but when i bought my new ones i didnt know my draw length so i got them cut at 31" and when i got home they were 2 inches longer than the ones i had fitted. i shot them and at 10 yards and they were doing great. 20 yards just shooting a bit lower. is it alright to have them 2 inches longer. im sure they dont shoot quite as fast but is it a problem ?
Old 08-07-2005, 04:18 PM

Default RE: Arrow Length a little longer then draw

The main thing I would be worried about is the spine may be too weak because of the extra length. No way to know without running the numbers though. If you were close before you are probably underspined now. Longer arrows also have less FOC if everything else remains the same (tip and fletch weight).

You said you had them cut to 31", what were they to begin with? I believe the tolerances on most arrows are measured at 28 inches, the longer the arrow the easier it is for them to become out of spec. Not that I would know first hand, since I shoot 25-26 inch arrows. I have heard of longer carbons having problems with straightness and what not.

Paul
Old 08-07-2005, 04:32 PM

i think the arrows were only like 32-33 inches to begin with...wait ..i just checked them and the guy gave me 2 arrows that are 200 grain instead of 300. gonna take em back hopefully and get them cut while im there.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:55 AM

If you are talking about what it says on the side, that is not the weight, it is the size of the arrow. It is a Spine designation. The 200 will be a different spine than the 300 will be. They need to be the same and the proper ones for your set up.

My advice is if you went somewhere and they gave you the wrong the length arrows and two different sizes just go back and get your money back. Then go somewhere that has a clue what they are doing and the right arrows the way you want them.

Oh, see the arrow length was your fault, not thiers. Still should have been the right size though.

Paul
Old 08-08-2005, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the spine is correct for your setup, then shooting a longer than necessary arrow is fine, it'll just add some weight to the arrow and slow the arrow down a bit. My target and 3D arrows are cut to 28", which puts them 1" past the rest at full draw (29" draw), but my hunting arrows are cut at 28 3/4" to make sure the broadhead doesn't hit the shelf or front of the riser before the rest comes up.

Since they are 2" too long, you COULDhave them recut to the correct length. If you already had the inserts glued in you'll probably have to buy new inserts.Think of this as a learning experience, next time you'llknow your arrow length. It's one of those things that ever archer should memorize.

Mike

Old 08-08-2005, 09:41 PM

The length of the arrow doesn't matter IF they are spined correctly. However longer arrows have a weaker spine. If the were the same arrows you were shooting before but are two inches longer the spine will change, they will be weaker. Whether they will be too weak depends on what they were like to begin with, they will be different though. Two inches is a considerable amount for spine, it would put you into the next spine range in most cases.

Shooting a longer properly spined arrow is fine though. The problem is finding the correct spine with a longer than normal arrow for your draw length. You would have to use software or be pretty good at using an arrow chart. And not the cheesy generic ones that they list for most carbon arrows. Those things are a crap shoot at best any way. Of course when you only offer three different spine ranges it makes guessing a bit easier.

Paul