Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 longer vs. shorter bows >

longer vs. shorter bows

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

longer vs. shorter bows

Old 02-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default longer vs. shorter bows

With regards to longbows, can you list the pros/cons of going from a 68" LB to a 60" LB. More concerned about shootability. Thanks, Taz
Old 02-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: longer vs. shorter bows

Personally I wont go below 64" Long Bow.

Mainly for stability and shootability reasons.

Shorter bows tend to have a lot of finger pinch even with my 27" draw.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

What's your draw like Taz? You mentioned shootability, so I would recommend longer bows also. Personally, like Kanga, I won't go below 64" for a longbow, but would prefer even longer.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:09 AM
bigcountry

Much smoother draw. I have a 66" 66lbs at 29" draw black widow. If you shot it, you would swear its only 60lbs or less. At least for the first 10 shots.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Spike

Well, a longer bow has greater leverage spread over a larger area than a short bow and that tends to make them shoot a little smoother, but bows can and do vary greatly in this matter from builder to builder as does finger pinch, which is caused by string angle and not neccissarily by the length of the bow itself, short bows can be and are built every day that don't pinch your digits, they can shoot as smooth, quiet, and are an improvement overthe longbows of yesteryear... these bows are the new r&d hybrids, fast as recurves, smooth and stable like the finest longbow.......Really it's all about what you like and what you are comfortable shooting as far as speed goes, some like their speed in the 160's-170's, which is great, many animals have fallen to these speeds and even less, but this new breed shoots 190's-200's, which can take some getting use to..........but no matter what you shoot, shot placement is still the key.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:01 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Voodoo

which is great, many animals have fallen to these speeds and even less, but this new breed shoots 190's-200's, which can take some getting use to..........but no matter what you shoot, shot placement is still the key.

I have yet too see many bows get 200 with 10-11gr/lb draw arrow at 28 or even 29" draw. I saw a PSA-V almost there.But still only 190fps. I see ACS's get there, but way too radical limb design for my hunting taste. I know when I break out the chrono, I get a lot of sad looks on people's faces.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:01 AM
Spike

"I know when I break out the chrono, I get a lot of sad looks on people's faces. ", .......YesI see thattoo, but it's mostly from the compound fellas, seems Trad archers have a comfort zone they like to stay within as far as speed goes... myself I don't shoot 10-12gpp,I primarily hunt whitetails and small game as that's what we have here andmy personal bows are from 60"-64",72-78#'s at my 30" draw and my arrows are 540-600gr..... the speeds vary between 203-215fps. depending on which combo I set up for the sweet spot in my comfort zone... and we all have that sweet spot, it's based on every piece of archery info that has ever entered our brains, some shoot what they do because others do it, some just want to be different and push the envelope, I guess that's why we feel the need to shoot so many different bows, some feel good, some feel bad, and some are just feel like an old friend the moment you pick them up and release that first arrow, and that feeling in my opinion has more to do with the weight than the length, especially when shooting these newer bows, Just shoot whatever your comfortable with shooting and what makes you happy, because when it comes down to it, who's opinion really matters when that 12 pointer steps out at 15 yds.?
Old 02-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

AHHHHHHHH the ole crono has dissapointed many a archer over the years

Ever notice how a lot of guys are perfectly happy with their bow right up untill they shoot it through the crono
Old 02-04-2009, 07:23 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Kanga

AHHHHHHHH the ole crono has dissapointed many a archer over the years

Ever notice how a lot of guys are perfectly happy with their bow right up untill they shoot it through the crono
I used to be. Its hard not to get into this craze. I have a osage selfbow a friend made that I can hit with better than any bow I got. I love the thing. It only shoots 155fps with 480gr arrow. Bottom line I have came too lately is "can you hit where you are aiming".