Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Field tips vs Broadheads >

Field tips vs Broadheads

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Field tips vs Broadheads

Old 10-23-2002, 12:50 PM
GJC

Default Field tips vs Broadheads

This is my first year with a hoyt magnatech. I know its not the quickest bow around, but the quickest Ive had. Therefore this is the first time I had a personal experience with the field tips and the broadheads hitting differently. I tried various fixed blades with no luck, so I went to the mechanicals. I have shot out to 40 yds and they are flying, and grouping great, right on with my practice tips.

So anyways my question.

When i purchased the bow I went with goldtips (7595 at 30 3/4inches) and they set me up with 85 grain tips. The lowest mechanicals I could find were 100 grain. Like I said earlier the results are good. Is there any reason to change the field tips to 100's or just leave well enough alone?

Edited by - gjc on 10/23/2002 16:38:51
Old 10-23-2002, 02:14 PM

Default RE: Field tips vs Broadheads

Leave well enough alone. If they're hitting the same place, then you can practice with field points, and be reassured you will not have to mess with you equipment when it comes time to go hunting.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:56 PM

Default RE: Field tips vs Broadheads

I would like to add that if your broadheads are grouping poorly there is a tune or form issue that need to be addressed.

Even though feild tips and mechanicals are grouping well it doesn't mean they are flying well. If they are not flying perfecrly straight penetration will be reduced.

have you paper tuned or bare shaft tuned??

If the broadheads are grouping well but just impacting diff. than field points, and you can't get them to match then you can readjust your sights or go with mechanicals.

Just remember mechanicals should not be used as a band aid to other problems.