Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Field Tips vs Broadheads >

Field Tips vs Broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Field Tips vs Broadheads

Old 03-04-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Field Tips vs Broadheads

I got a Block target today and decided to see how close my Montec G5's hit to the same weight field points. They shoot about 6" left and a couple inches low at 20 yards. Based on the information in the Eastman tuning guide, I tried adjusting the rest to bring the two together. No dice. When I get the broadheads hitting on the target, the field points shoot to the right and a little high. I have (or had) the bow tuned really well for the field points - great groups - paper test perfect, center shot perfect, walk back perfect. I'm thinking the "easy button" here is to just move the sight to adjust for the broadhead impact. By measuring the distance to the stops on the sight with a micrometer, I could find my previous setting pretty easily. I looks like, for this setup, moving the sight .025 results in 1" of impact shift at 20 yards. Anyonehave a different view onthe logic of this?
Old 03-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Field Tips vs Broadheads

How is yourarrow spine.

Also,do you have hand torque causing a kick in the arrow?
Old 03-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Field Tips vs Broad heads

I would say move the sight if it was tuned great and shooting the field points great . I thunk moving the rest will put it out of tune. you are getting the results of another post here that was shot from a machine and a lot of broad heads shot left and low of the field point

[/align]
Old 03-04-2007, 05:20 PM

The spine is right on the money, according to Easton's charts. ST Excel 500 at 28" with a 100 gr. point. Best of all, the arrows will group 1" at 20 yards and are tearing paper just fine. Walk back is good out to 55 yards - the furthest we can shoot at our range.

I see what you mean, though. Grouping the broadheads to theleft of the field pointswouldpossibly indicate too stiff of an arrow - or the draw weight is a little low. And moving the rest, once the sight is readjusted, doesn't seem to help. Now that I think about it, yesterday when I was shooting the bow at different draw weights, the same arrows with the same field points hit 6" left and a little high with the draw weight set at 60 lbs. Didn't group as good as they did at 51 lbs., though. Should I maybe try 125 gr. broadheads?
Old 03-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is why I'm a firm believer in practicing with what you hunt with, broadheads.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is why I paper tune bare shafts to check spine before anything else.Then check fletched arrows for contact through paper.

If you read my post on this subject,you will see my whole process and whenI am done,mine hit the same.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2020182

Old 03-04-2007, 05:52 PM

Are your arrows tuned? What I mean is, when you screw on your broadheads, spin the arrow. Does the BH wobble? If so, you'll need to do some work there.

Also, I noticed you are shooting 500's @ 28"....At what poundage?
Old 03-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Are your arrows tuned? What I mean is, when you screw on your broadheads, spin the arrow. Does the BH wobble? If so, you'll need to do some work there.

Also, I noticed you are shooting 500's @ 28"....At what poundage?

Very good point,the broadheads must spin true to fly true.

Broadhead flight is why one should never use cheap carbons and should also use helical feathers IMO.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:00 PM

you don't deer hunt with field points so who cares how they shoot. sight it in with your broad heads you should practice with those any way. and montec makes practice bh's for that reason
Old 03-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Had a similar problem with a friends set up, he was shooting wasp boss bullets 75 grain, flight with field points and broadheads were great just didnt group together.Spine was good bow was tunned no torque, but he did end up changing fletches and it tightened them right up.

Quick Reply: Field Tips vs Broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.