Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Two blade vs three blade >

Two blade vs three blade

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Two blade vs three blade

Old 02-21-2006, 03:00 PM

Default Two blade vs three blade

I just wanted to know what you guys think about what somebody told me about two blade broadheads.They siad that three blade haeds are more stable in flight.I shoot the NAP Razor Back heads and seam to have good arrow flight.One other thing I dip and crest my arrows I also put the vanes on. I use a blidz jig. What would be the pros and cons to offset vs hellical.Thank you guys!
Old 02-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Two blade vs three blade

It is true that at faster speeds 2 blade heads can plane or cause a lift.But with the newer BH out today you realy don't have that much of a problem.

You can add bigger vanes or more helical to stabilise the arrow in flight.I shoot magnus stinger 2-blade heads out my Mathewes Switchback and have had no problem with planning even at the 280 fps + mark,I have seen guys shoot these BH at speed of 300 fps and not have any problem.I shot these heads side by sibe with feildpoints and had minimal POI on the target out to 60 yds.
I shoot The Nudge arrows @ 27.5 inch with Quickspin vanes no R-or-L helical on them.
If you are shooting 225 to 280 fps I see no reason to change your set-up.
BBJ
Old 02-22-2006, 02:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.broadheadtests.com/index.htmlYou can find a lot of answers to your questions here. Check out the tuning and faq pages
Old 02-22-2006, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is true that at faster speeds 2 blade heads can plane or cause a lift.But with the newer BH out today you realy don't have that much of a problem.
Not true , the less blade you have up front the getter flight you will have . Most but not all 2 blade heads are smaller , have less area than 3 blade heads and fly better . If your arrow launch is not straight and level , the more area you have up front will stear you arrow harder .
Old 02-22-2006, 07:13 AM

I shoot the magnus Stinger Buzzcuts and get great flight while shooting around 280. They hit right with my field points. I have tried several three and four blade heads and never had them hit exactly the same as my fieldpoints. I even tried the four blade Slick Tricks and even though they shot great, they still impacted a little differently then the fieldpoints. Alot has to do with tuning on your bow but the two blade stingers flew perfect without any extra tuning.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:41 PM

Thank you very much for all your replies.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have an advantage shooting the razor back because it had an independent ferrule that rotates on it's own in the air to stabilize it. About your fletching: If you fletch helical make sure you get rest clearance.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:41 AM

Broadheads plane from either a launch angle that is not correct, or from wind. You can correct these problems by tuning your bow and your arrow and by using heavier broadheads and/or smaller ones. Wind will push most 3-blades broadheads easier than most 2 blade broadheads.