Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How to set draw weight? >

How to set draw weight?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How to set draw weight?

Old 02-19-2006, 07:13 PM

Default How to set draw weight?

Hello. I just recently purchased a Bowtech Tribute and would like to adjust the draw weight. It is 50-60 lb bow and is set in the low 50's. I think the limbs both may not be set the same. Should I tighten them all the way down and un tighten the bolts in equal increments? Not sure about how i should go about this problem. Also, do you have to loosen the limb pocket bolts before you tighten the limb bolts?
Old 02-19-2006, 10:39 PM

Default RE: How to set draw weight?

So I did some reading on the bowtech website and found that as long as I tightened the same ammount on each screw I was ok. So this leads to my next question. Is it possible to overtighten the limb poundage bolts, or when they bottom out that is the highest weight of draw possible?
Old 02-19-2006, 10:56 PM

I wouldn't try to over tighten them. When it feels like you cant tighten it anymore and the limb looks like its touching the pocket completely stop there and you should be within a couple pounds of 60 depending on your specific limbs.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

i agree when it looks like its touchin the pocket leave it there you dont need to pry on it to make it be at full weight
Old 02-21-2006, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

First of all there's only 2 1/2 turn's from 50 to 60 lbs draw ,try turning them 1/2 turn each at a time ,then measure your tiller when your maxed out .To measure your tiller take a ruler and measure from the base of your limb pocket to your string ,if you get the same measurement on both top and bottom then your ready to shoot if theeither the top or bottomisslightly more than theotherwhen maxed out, then back off the highest reading to equal the lesser measurement.

nubo
Old 02-22-2006, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

remember to loosen those set screws before you tighten or loosen your poundage. The best way is to turn them all the way down and them back them off. ALSO: you will notice small circular indentations on the cams, these are timing indentations, they will help you realize if you're bow's limbs are backed off equally.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:34 AM

Bows don't alway come from the factory the way they should. Tiller could be off and string/cable length may not be what it should be. I've seen 50-60 lb bows that would draw 68 lbs, direct from the factory. It goes without saying that a 60 lb limb should not exceed 60 lbs, without risking seriously shortening it's lifespan.

I would recommend using a scale to test, and tighten the limbs to 60 lbs, while making sure you have even tiller. When I do this for the first time, I take a drop of "white-out" to mark the position of the limb bolts. This makes it much easier to adjust precisely and to see at a glance that they haven't moved.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Straightarrow and I also forgot to mention the set screw's ,be sure to loosen them before you tighten your limb bolt's .

nubo