Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Left eyed, and right handed???? >

Left eyed, and right handed????

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Left eyed, and right handed????

Old 02-20-2006, 08:26 PM

Default RE: Left eyed, and right handed????

If he's left eye dominant. Get him shooting guns and bows lefty. It will be more natural for him. As he's just starting. It will be much easier in the long run if he does everything through the left eye. This way he dont have to switch back and forth between guns, bows, and any thing else from left to right eye. Thats the way we teach young archers just getting into the sport. May seem alittle wiered at first for them. but w/ practice they will pick it up soon!!! Good luck !!!!
Old 02-21-2006, 09:53 AM

My 14 yr old son is right handed and I started him with a right hand bow before I knew to check for eye dominance.He is left eye dominant. He shotthe right hand bowwell, but soon decided on his own to switch to shooting left hand. He is a lot more comfortable shooting that way. In fact he has trouble shooting right handed now.

It would be better if he learns both ways, but if you have to choose one, go with the eye dominance.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

It may be hard to test the eye dominance at that age. My son started shooting archery four years ago, and it wans't until this past year that I was sure what eye is dominant for him. Sure enough, he is left eye dominant and right handed. We started shooting left handed about three months ago, and he has gotten real good (almost as good as right handed). He was 10 when I was sure which eye was dominant. So what I am saying is, don't be all that concerned if you mess up on the eye dominance/shootingsituation. It can be corrected. It's not at all like an adult trying to switch. The most important thing is interest. You may want to get something like a Li'l Sentry Recurve that can be shot right or left handed:

http://www.escaladesports.com/bear-archery/detail.html?SKU=A22&subcat=Institutional%20Bow s

Oh, and get a good supply of balloons from the Dollar Store to shoot at!
Old 02-23-2006, 05:44 AM

For starting out, get him a bow he can shoot either way (like a little recurve that can be shot RH or LH) and see what he naturally does. At that age, his eye dominence could change and it is often hard to be really sure anyway. Just let him progress naturally and don't force him one way or the other.

For those of you already shooting you opposite eye (like me -- I shoot RH and am left eyed), if you do not have a physical problem aiming with the off eye (like can't close the other eye, etc) there is no need to switch.

I am a big proponent of shooting which ever way is more comfortable. There is no compelling reason to really switch just to shoot the dominent eye. There are several top coach who believe this as well -- so the comment about any good coach advocating switching is false.

I shot 300-59X last night right handed, but I am left eye dominent. That one that missed the X had nothing to do with my eye. I have tried to shoot LH (just for trying) and it is very akward for me. I can't see how switching could possibly help my shooting.