Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Right-Handed, Left eyed? >

Right-Handed, Left eyed?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Right-Handed, Left eyed?

Old 09-12-2003, 11:56 AM

Default Right-Handed, Left eyed?

Just curious...I' m a right handed hunter who has to shoot rifles and shotguns left handed due to a highly dominant left eye. Been that way since I was 10. My overall vision is otherwise excellent. I can adapt when shooting a handgun by altering my head position while holding the gun in my right hand. Archery is a different story. I have to draw right handed, because lefty is just too awkward. It does, however prevent me from using a bowsite. Just doesn' t work. Just wondering if any of you have a similar situation.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Right-Handed, Left eyed?

My hunting partner is that way , He shoots lefthanded with a right handed bolt action rifle . He said that was the way he learned to shoot so he doesn' t change it . The only problem he has is with the safety on some model guns . My Dad also had that problem , but he just shot all lever actions so it didn' t bother him that much .
Old 09-12-2003, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

man that would be tough....i thought your eye was always the same as your hand...i can do alot of things left handed...but shooting isnt one of them....i mean i can do it if id have to..ive practiced left handed before just to see...it was really tough for me...glad im not like that....but if youve never got used to shooting right handed i guess it wouldnt feel so acward like it does for me....
Old 09-12-2003, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

My brother in law is Right handed, left eye dominant. He struggled for years with accuracy both gun and bow. Finally...after many discussions, he bit the bullet...and made the change. That was about 3 years ago. The first year he was a mess...but now he is totally comfortable LH, left eye. His accuracy is twice what it was.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

some people will even wear a patch over the left eye.

I' ve taught a bunch of boy scouts to shoot trap and the first thing I do is to test for which eye is dominent. It' s an easy test!

If I find a right hand kid with a dominant left eye, the first thing I do is to convince the kid to learn to shoot left handed.

Some fathers have been very surprised.
Old 09-12-2003, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

My left eye is also dominant, and I shoot pistols right handed, left-eyed, just like you. I shoot rifles right handed, and have to aim with my right eye, which is a handicap at best! As to bow shooting, I shoot " instinctive" , with both eyes open. It requires a LOT of constant practice to maintain any proficiency, but I tried a bow sight, and it was a disaster!
Old 09-12-2003, 07:17 PM
Spike

Same here.Should make you a better shot since you will move the gun with your right hand.I agree finding left handed guns are a pain.I wanted a SS bolt gun and my only option was an A-bolt,although I am very happy with it.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:45 PM
Typical Buck

I am right handed and left eye dominant. Shooting R/H rifles left handed has never been a problem with me. I do shoot with both eyes open regardless of weapon/open sights/scope.....
When shooting shotguns it' s very important that you shoot on your dominant eye side. Your dominant eye will always take over and it can cause cross firing. There are a few shooters that dont or cant do this, some even use crossover stocks but I think you will never be the best you can be until you shoot with your dominant eye. As with scatterguns your eye acts as the rear sight and the muzzle is the front site, though you dont aim, you point.

just some ramblings......AA
Old 09-12-2003, 09:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ditto for me, only thing I do left is shoot both gun and bow. However I have found my power arm to be my left, so shooting a bow is actually easier for me left handed than right (ok I should saying drawing and holding the bow is easier). When i was younger my dad tried to get me to shoot right knowing it would be hard to find specialized southpaw equipment but in the end he said you have to what is natural and feel right to you. Never looked back! I do have right handed rifles, but my main hunting rifles are now all left handed bolts. I don' t like the choice and premium I must pay for left handed equipment but I guess being a minority has its short falls and I have learned to live with it.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am left handed and right eye dominant. I shot left handed until I did a test to see which eye was dominant, and found that it was my right eye. Never thought anything of it until then. I can shoot a lot better now, although when I shoot pistol, with standard sights, I end up hitting to the left, so I have to adjust the sights.

Quick Reply: Right-Handed, Left eyed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.