Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
What is the secret to fletching? >

What is the secret to fletching?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What is the secret to fletching?

Old 10-14-2002, 07:48 PM

Default What is the secret to fletching?

If I were not me I would have already given up. Here is my problem, I am grouping my arrows pretty well now, and now I am having problems with my fletching. Busted up, shot through, ect ect. I bought an ez fletch and I just can't seem to get them on without leaving glue bubble on the side of my vanes. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I'm sure that I am getting the shaft clean I take the old ones all the way off, lightly sand, then use the shaft prep stuff. never touching the end that is going to be fletched, and when I take the jig off I still have bubbles.
Anything I should try, I'm game at this point............
Old 10-14-2002, 09:43 PM

Default RE: What is the secret to fletching?

Four possible causes.

1. Vane/fletch not inserted in clamps evenly.
2. Not applying cement-run evenly and without break.
3. Not keep edges of clamp clean between applications.
3. Bad glue.

When you say "bubble," but you actually mean excess glue flowing out, don't worry. Keep a thin rag that has acetone or alcohol on it (NOT SOAKED). When you set the clamp onto the shaft, apply small amount of pressure for a few seconds to force out the excess, wrap a portion of the treated rag around your finger tip, and wipe down the valley close to the base of the clamp.

I always apply a small excess amount of glue to assure full contact of vane/fletch to shaft.

Edited by - c903 on 10/15/2002 09:04:45
Old 10-14-2002, 10:07 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-16-2002, 01:57 AM

Make sure you clean your arrows with rubbing alcohol to get all the dirt off.

Old 10-16-2002, 08:36 AM

don't say you're game on a hunting forum!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2002, 07:00 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

I would be hesitant to let my skin touch acetone. Better to use gloves or a Q-Tip.

Never trust a bow under 40 (inches).
Old 10-19-2002, 07:22 AM

I think C903 hit the nail on the head. I was hunting Thur. and didn't touch my arrows other than to put them in quiver. Rained like I don't know what and the fletching started coming off when they were drying. I am going to try a different type of glue and see what happens.
As far as being clean, I rubbed the shafts down with alcohol, scuffed the surface with 600 grit sandpaper and then used the prep solution that you soak the shaft in for 5-7 min, then ran hot water over it to wash it off. let them dry over night and then fletched them in the morning. Used the q-tip had some pretty good looking vanes and when they got wet, they fell off. So I will prep the shafts again and try a different type of glue.
Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope you are not soaking Carbon shafts in the Ajax (that's what the "shaft prep" from Bohning is). Aluminums are fine, but it will mess up a carbon shaft if you let em soak in that stuff, and it could be causing your problem if that's the case.

I tried that shaft prep years ago on ACC's and all it did was screw them up..I couldn't get anything to stick to them, and it caused the carbon to separate.

JeffB