Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Blazers and F.O.C ???'s >

Blazers and F.O.C ???'s

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Blazers and F.O.C ???'s

Old 12-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default Blazers and F.O.C ???'s

I've got two questions for you guys. I was throwing around some numbers this afternoon trying to find out what i want my arrow setup to be next year. The three F.O.C. percentages i came up with were 8.62, 9.95 and 10.71. I was leaning towards the 10.71 but wanted to check on you guys' opinions on which was better. Also the 10.71 is with blazers and a 125gr magnus stinger, will the blazers be able to stear a 125gr head? Or should i go with my normal 4" fletch? Thanks alot.

Zach
Old 12-13-2005, 04:42 PM

Default RE: Blazers and F.O.C ???'s

I prefer the heaver foc myself. Somewhere around 10.5. I have the blazers on goldtips with 100 grain muzzys and they group with my field points exactly. I think the key is having a perfectly tuned bow, and I think you'll be fine.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:43 PM

First of all, are you calculating your FOC with your actual arrows and broadheads installedor are you going by on-line calculators? On-line calculators usually calculate FOC with field tips installed because they can never guess what style of broadhead each hunter will be using. Your actual broadheads will be longer, thus making your "true" FOC percentage higher.

As far as your percentages listed, I would take the 9.95% if I was happy with total arrow weight and if I was shooting mechanical broadheads.

If I was shooting non-mechanical broadheadsI would take the 10.71% over the other 2 listed.

Blazer ismarketing thatyou can get away with the smallervane. Keep in mind that your giving up length for a tallershorter vane. I have heard thatthese vanes may cause someclearance issues on some set-ups and/or rests. Check your set-up to see ifclearance issues will appear with these taller vanes. Ifyou do have clearance issues, your going to have to adjust rest up and nock point up. I have also seen guys shoot cock vane down with Blazervanes and somearrow rest combinations to avoid clearance problems, mostly on shoot-thru style arrow rests.Other than that I have not tried them out to see how they perform with a 125 grain broadhead.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:59 PM

The heigth on the blazer is the same as the 4 inch bohning vanes. They just look taller because they are shorter
Old 12-13-2005, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

Mildotmaster, good point about the fieldtips, i didnt even think about that. I'll be using the same broadheads as this year, Magnus Stinger. So you want a higher F.O.C with fixed blade broadheads?

I used the "Gold Tip" F.O.C. calculator which uses the C.O.G of the fletching, is that their way of getting around not knowing what kind of broadhead you're using? Because they dont factor in the length of your broadhead/fieldpoint at all.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:29 PM

ORIGINAL: akaSharkey

The heigth on the blazer is the same as the 4 inch bohning vanes. They just look taller because they are shorter
Fatsbucknut stated normal 4 inch vanes at the end of his first post on this topic, so I was interpreting that as standard height 4 inch vanes. Wanted to make sure that he was aware of the height issue.

Fatsbucknut,

Yes use the 10.71% FOC over the other 2 choices you gave for your fixed blade broadheads. I'm sure that number will change once you calculate FOC manually with broadhead installed. I wouldn't trust the accuracy of how each web sight calculates FOC with using other brand vanes. To find the most accurate FOC you have to manually do it with your hunting broadheads installed, not field tips.

Mark center of arrow including broadhead length in your measurement. Make a mark on the arrow. Balance the arrow on a sharp edge in a draft free room. Measure the balance pointto the center of arrow mark you just made on shaft. Now divide that number by total length of arrow to give you your actual FOC.

Old 12-14-2005, 02:16 AM

I have shot carbons fletchedwith 4" feathers,which puts my FOC in the 14% or better range.Those shafts with fixed blade heads flew PERFECT !!.
I just put some feathers on a 400 AXIS,,just to see how much helical I could geton those skinny suckers.Came out lookin real pretty ,,and with a 100 grn. T-head in the drivers seat,they come in at around 15% FOC.
I did'nt get a chance to shootthis combo yet,but I think I know how its going to do