Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Easton Axis Full Metal Jacket >

Easton Axis Full Metal Jacket

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Easton Axis Full Metal Jacket

Old 11-23-2005, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Easton Axis Full Metal Jacket

Hey guys - just got this info from the guys over at Easton today. It appears as though they're releasing a new arrow for this year that utilizes an Axis carbon core with aluminum wrapped around it. Basically an a/c/c in reverse.

More info and photos here - http://www.huntingnet.com/news/news.aspx?news_id=538

Looks pretty slick to me.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:46 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Easton Axis Full Metal Jacket

Looks pretty cool, though at 11.1grn per inch it's heavier than any of their other arrows and most others on the market today (except for Carbon Express) at the same spine, 300's. I think it might not do well with the speed demons.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

True, but it's not meant to be a target or speed arrow - it's meant for kinetic energy and penetration. IMO it'll make a great hunting arrow for those of us who are concerned more about penetration and knockdown power than just raw speed.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:54 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

True, but it's not meant to be a target or speed arrow - it's meant for kinetic energy and penetration. IMO it'll make a great hunting arrow for those of us who are concerned more about penetration and knockdown power than just raw speed.
I agree, I use ICS Camo Hunters at 10.0grn per inch. But many of the speed demons like the lighter arrows like the GT'sand I don't think these will appeal to them. New techonlogy or not.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting idea, but unless it provesto have benifits other than easier removal of arrows in 3D targets, I don't know that it will catch on. Been shooting the Beman Black Max along with a few Axis arrows and couldn't be happier. What I really would like to try are the A/C Super Slims.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't get it.

I can see the point of the original ACC's in that you take a precision aluminum core and then wrap the carbon around it to create a straight and tight tollerance arrow. The carbon protected the aluminum and kept bending to a minimum and virtually eleminated dinged arrows.

This new one I see no benefits art all. You take a skinny carbon shaft that certainly isn't straight or consistant to start with and then put it in an aluminum tube? Why? So now you got a shaft that starts out inconsistant and with the aluminum you go right back to having dinged aluminum shafts.

I just don't get it. [&:]
Old 11-24-2005, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

"...knockdown power turns marginal hits into devastating, lethal shots.”
I am always amused by the hype and marketing scheme. If one didn't know the above quote was referring to an arrow shaft you would swear they were talking about a bullet.

Perhaps they have re-invented the wheel. I have neverbeen a fan of the H.I.T. system. For the life of me I cannot see a benefit to it. Again, I feel it was more of a marketing scheme than anything else.

I thought the original axis arrows were ok but nothing special. It could just be me but it seemed like the spine shot out of them in a hurry. Maybe that wouldn't be an issue with the FMJs.

Time will tell...