Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Hoyt Raider Powerflex...got it on ebay...... >

Hoyt Raider Powerflex...got it on ebay......

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hoyt Raider Powerflex...got it on ebay......

Old 11-22-2005, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hoyt Raider Powerflex...got it on ebay......

I wanted a bow that wouldn't break the bank and had arrows and everything I needed to shoot in one package. I was on Ebay the other night, just checking the ending auctions for compound bows and this Hoyt Raider Powerflex shows up for $289. The bow has a hard case, 4 Easton 2018 Gamegetter 2 arrows with 3 broadheads and 1 field point, 3 stage fiber optic sight, Cavalier arrow rest and a Tru Fire Hair trigger release. It didn't say what the bow is set up at with regards to draw length or poundage. It is adjustable from 60-70 lbs and 28-31.5" draw.

Does anyone know anything or have any experience with this particular bow? This is my first step into the world of archery and I'm excited to shoot this thing when it shows up next week. I have been checked at the local archery shop and my draw length is 29", but other than that is there anything that I should have done to this bow when I get it? I'm sure some of you will say take it to the shop and get it tuned "for you". What should I expect before things need replacing? The bow is claimed to be in very good to excellent condition and I hope that's the case. I was checking on the Hoyt website under thier "tuning" section and it appears that this thing was made in 1999. Does it have much life remaining? One thing for sure is that I plan on shooting it a lot to get good with it.

Also, do those "block" type backstops work good to justify the amount of money they cost? I will need some type of thing that will stop an arrow without ruining it. Are there any cheap alternatives or home made concoctions I may not know about? As a beginner I'm afraid about missing the backstop completely. Thanks for the advice
Old 11-22-2005, 08:07 AM

Default RE: Hoyt Raider Powerflex...got it on ebay......

First off, it isn't too old. I've seenguys shoot really old bows very well. Just practice with it. It would be helpful to you if you took the bow to a shop and had them set it right.

As far as targets go, with field points, use a bag target. Will last for a LONG time. Broadheads, I would get a yellow jacket. I bought a new block 4x4 pro, and it isn't holding up well. Plus they are twice as much as the yellow jacket.

Good luck.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Dont worry about age, I have a hoyt excell I built in 1986 and it has yet to fail me. I shot three hogs and one deer with it last year. This year I have used my newer bows, but the old excell still gets shot. I have gotten many bows/parts from ebay. The only problem I find with ebay, other than its normal inherent problems, is that when picking a bow, its a guess as to whether the bow will be a good fit. The bow you got is a fine bow, but if you are not familure with fitting a bow, or tuning it, id head to the pro shop to get some help setting it up for you. Id for sure get a new string and cable, if it has not had a new one put on in the last year or two, which it probably hasnt. There is a guy on ebay that makes great stings and cables for 45.00 bucks. I cant think of his name, but he makes the strings for the Womens US team. Ive had him make all my stings and cables for years.

As far as targets go, with field points, use a bag target. Will last for a LONG time. Broadheads, I would get a yellow jacket. I bought a new block 4x4 pro, and it isn't holding up well. Plus they are twice as much as the yellow jacket.
Good suggestion on targets. I dont go expensive because I have found they all wear out about the same. The block hold up well, but I wouldnt say a whole lot more than the yellow jacket.

Good luck
Burnie
Old 11-22-2005, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

Do you think I paid too much for it? Here's the link......http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7197432488&ssp agename=ADME:L:AAQ:US:1
Old 11-22-2005, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Not at all. Its a good set up. I could see you swithcing arrows, sights, and rests after a while. But as far as a set up ready to go, that will work. Practice, practice, practice, is the key. Get her set to you and you will be good to go. I have built some bows with that frame. I have put redline limbs and cams on that frame before and they make great bows.