Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Archery Coaches...DL advice? >

Archery Coaches...DL advice?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Archery Coaches...DL advice?

Old 11-07-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Archery Coaches...DL advice?

Alright, never posted pics before so I'm bound to take a few tries. All this talk about drawlength and my current fumbling with the idea of trying to increase mine (which would justify buying a new hoyt) has me wondering if I'll do harm to my accuracy. So, here's some pics of me and my feather-max at full draw (31") Let me know what you think. I know pictures are far from an ideal way of coaching but I figure its worth a shot...lol, get it? shot? Yeah, I'm corny.

Old 11-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Archery Coaches...DL advice?

The first pic is the only one you can really see anything on.

Your bow has too long a draw length for you. I would say at least an inch and maybe close to two inches. You definetly do not have a 31" draw length.

Your bow string is pulled very far back on your face.
You are having to lean backward in order to get to full draw which causes you to be over extended.
Your bow arm is pretty straight.
Another thing is that you seem to be gripping the bow very tightly.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:05 PM

yeah, didn't know if the other's would do any good or not...AN INCH SHORTER!!! You know what, I'll try shorter, no reason not to. Gripping the bow tight, yessir! I get nervous about dry-firing[&:] I promise I mind my manners when outdoors with an arrow on the rest
Old 11-07-2005, 11:40 PM

Yea I would definately shorten up a little. This still gives you a reason for the new hoyt.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

The others have already got the draw length thing covered. The other pic that gets my attention is the one where you're head-on to the camera. I see several things there that could stand some work.

One thing that makes it look like you've got a death grip on the handle is you're holding the handle like you're carrying a suitcase. That makes the inside bend of your elbow point up and brings the meat of the underside of your forearm into the string's path. I hate string rash, and it looks like you do to, the way your head is bent forward and you're holding the bow out away from your body, trying to keep your wrist from getting stung.

Do this, right now.... Hold your arm out, hand straight, fingers extended with your thumb straight up. The inside bend of your elbow will be facing UP.

Now, from your shoulder, rotate your arm so that bend is facing sideways and your hand is flat with the thumb pointing to the RIGHT.

Okay, now, leaving everything from your elbow to your shoulder just like that, rotate yourwrist so that your thumb is pointed upward at a 45 degree angle.

Relax your wrist and hand, letting your fingers and thumb curl naturally. Relax the elbow, keeping it straight but unlocked, with a slight NATURAL bend.That is the exact position you want your arm, wrist, hand and fingers when you're shooting. (I don't at all believe in putting an artificially inducedbend in the elbow! Puts too much strain on the muscles and connective tissues when the bone structure is what should carry the load.)

If you don't want to use a sling, then lightly wrap your index finger around the front of the grip. The other three fingers can be curled up into your palm, between your palm and the bow's handle, if you continue trying to grapple with the grip. You can't grab if those fingers are completely out of the way.And curling the fingers in will remind you to keep that elbow bend facing sideways.

Once you get your forearm out of the way, you can start holding your head up and bring the bow more in line with your shoulders, rather than holding it away from your body and leaning your head sideways to get clearance. You want your head erect and over your hips so you're well balanced. Right now it looks like you're gonna topple over. Also, you can relax thatbow shoulder and let it ride low when you shoot.

Notice how many times I've used the word 'relax'? To me, you look totally wired and tensed up and the more muscle tension you have in your body the less consistent your accuracy will be. RELAX!

That will be much easier to do once you get everything properly aligned so your bone structure is doing the work.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:51 PM

First off "I" never come to full draw with a release w/o an arrow nocked. It's a mechanical device and can fail. Aim in a safe direction and keep that trigger hand in a fist so theres no chance of accidental discharge. You said the reason you had the grip clutched is because you were nervous of dryfire...if you had an arrow nocked you wouldn't have to worry. Get your draw length properly measured by a "reputable" dealer. Good luck to ya.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:15 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

Great comments, gentlemen! [At least I assume you're gentlemen. -)]

Part of the problem might also be that the actual DL on Mathews bows are often almost an inch longer than labeled. At least they were on my Feathermax and Conquest. So you could've been measured right in the shop, but the bow is longer than you ordered.

The best thing you could do is buy an hour with a good coach. When in doubt, set the bow a little short, especially if you'll be hunting with it.