Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
FOC theory and discussion >

FOC theory and discussion

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

FOC theory and discussion

Old 10-07-2002, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default FOC theory and discussion

Ok. I understand why one needs a positive foc when using fixed heads, but why wouldn't a neutral foc work well with field tips or mechanicals? I mean, you don't need a heavier nose to provide steerage, nor large helical fletch to stabilize them.

If a bare shaft is the ultimate test of a bow tune job, why wouldn't a neutral foc with a mechanical head and small fletch work? I read in another post that the higher the foc, the sooner an arrow drops off down range, and the lower, the longer it stays on plane.

What am I missing here?

Old 10-07-2002, 02:54 PM

Default RE: FOC theory and discussion

Range,

If you were to have a neutral FOC you would have a very unstable arrow. If you were to shoot an arrow with a neutral FOC you get into an area where the arrow would have the tendency to tip stall, possibly porpoise while it flies. With mechanicals you could shoot a much lower FOC and a smaller fletching if you wish. In fact I know an archer that shoots ACC's with a 3" fletch and mechanicals with very good accuracy. As far as the dropout at a higher FOC, that is caused by the arrow flying at a greater tip low attitude exposing more surface area into the oncoming slipstream causing more induced drag. The more drag the faster the arrow slows and drops out.

Bareshaft tuning IMHO is more of a traditional tool in testing proper arrowspine. Also you will note that when bareshaft testing is accomplished the arrow does not have a neutral FOC. Shooting an unfletched neutral FOC shaft would be very unstable, chances are that there would be little or no tip weight.

Aim Hard!