Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Does it really matter??????? >

Does it really matter???????

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Does it really matter???????

Old 10-28-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Does it really matter???????

OK, I shoot respectable groups when practicing with field points, and shoot equally respectable groups with my fixed blade broadheads, ifI shoot both field points and BH together at the sametarget they two group about 3 inches apart. should I strive to get the two groups to hit together, or is this impossible since aBH tipped arrow and field point are not the same identical projectile?
Old 10-28-2005, 06:50 PM

Default RE: Does it really matter???????

I say dont shoot the field points, buy a new set of broadheads just like the ones you have and use the old ones to practice, when the moment of truth comes around, you want to say " I am gonna Hit right there" not "well i wonder how far my shot will be off
Old 10-28-2005, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

you should be able to bring them right together by moving your rest a tiny amount in the direction opposite of which the broadheads are impacting.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:28 AM

I don't worry about it. I shoot field tips most of the year. In August I start shooting broadheads and as long as they are flying true I sight in with them. I don't shoot anything except BH's until the season is over. Get yourself an extra set of your favorite BH's and keep them as your practice tips. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would strive to get the field points and broadheads to group together.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

My only concern would be that the broadheads group.

Old 10-30-2005, 07:25 AM

Out of my hunting rigs I shoot broadheads all year. All I care about is the gorup I get with my hunting setup. Buy a extra pack of broadheads & shoot them into a good broadhead target.

Good Luck.

Old 10-30-2005, 09:41 AM

The most important thing is arrow flight. If your fixed blade arrows fly true and group well that is what is most important in my opinion. Could it be better? Maybe, might be a minute tunning issue, a spine problem, or form problem you can't fix by adjusting on our bow or messing with your arrows.

I always like to tune my arrows for 10 yards farther than I intend to shoot them. My max distance I will hunt at is 25 yards so I like my hunting arrows to fly well out ot 35-40 yards. Once you get out to longer distances it is easy to see flight problems. If you have good follow thru you can see the arrow fly all the way to the target. If it wobbles or corkscrews you will see it.

Another thing to look for is that it flies on a straight path. The arrows should not wind plane up, down or side to side as you change distances. Even if they don't impact with your practice tips, they should be consistant. If you move back to 30 yards and your arrows hit more to the left or right of center than they should you need to work on it ( or your grip is wrong). If they shoot higher or lower than they should your nock point or FOC may be off.

I have seen people say that thier hunting tipped arrows impact in almost the same spot at 30 as they do at 20 elevation wise. And think this is a good thing. If you are shooting in the mid to low 200 fps range this should not happen. You are having an arrow flight problem most likely.

Paul