Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 another peep problem >

another peep problem

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

another peep problem

Old 10-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default another peep problem

so I have been shooting for 3 months (4-6 days a week - many arrows a nite) and have had no problems with my peep (I have the type that is round with 4 string contact points - 2 on each, opposite side). it has actulally been the best year I have had in that regard - good sight picture thru peep. so I get out in the woods and can't see a GD thing. I first try sliding my leeches up and down to twist string a bit - no help. then spin my string loop, which did help some. I am really worried that if/when I get a shot, i'm goin to be screwed by the peep. Any suggestions. could it possibly be my hunting garb causing me to draw slightly different?? ( no I don't shoot with it on - tends to be a bit warm in Aug-sept for 2-4 layers of clothing) I don't think I am drawing any different, but.....just a thought that popped into my head.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: another peep problem

Judging by your signature, your shooting PSE. If your shooting hte stock strings, I'm surprised this hasnt happened before. Your string has stretched. The BEST way to remedy the problem is to put the bow in a press and twist the string a few times.

You can use your fingers to twist it around, or when at full draw, use a part of your face.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like my problem. Good luck! I don't know about you, but I don't want to have to use my nose to adjust the peep while at full draw on a nice buck! Unfortunately, I may not have time to take mine in and fix it before my bow trip. I WAS able to twist the string loop a little and it works ok, but that's not to say it won't be screwed up when I'm hunting.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:03 AM

if you offset your loop, when you get it right stick a set of needle nose pliers in there and tighten up that loop and it won't slip. usually all you'll need is a half twist in the bottom of your string if you're going to do it that way.

a lot of this is weather changes. believe it or not 8125 will change a little bit with the weather, and the other cheaper materials are worse. its why i advise hunters to put 452x on their bows, even though its just a few fps slower. it is remarkably stable in all types of weather/humidity.

one thing i want to say about peeps, besides i don't shoot one (no-peep for me), is that some real good shooters i know put a drop of liquid paper on the side of their peep where the string goes. this way they can tell if the peep has ever moved, because the liquid paper will crack right there if it has. like nubo said somewhere, depending on where you have the peep in relation to the twist, will alter the way it rotates or doesn't. so if its moved that could be your culprit. another thing is depending on how you have it tied in, that serving will eventually want to slide away from the peep, and if its been putting pressure on the gap around your peep and moves, your peeps rotation will change. when i put in a peep for myself i set it up to come back properly without being served in, but that's me. then i serve it in without affecting the gap around it. that way the serving won't be backing off and effecting it. or you can know that and just push your serving back down and make sure its right before climbing the tree.

maybe any of that will help, i don't know.

or your string could have stretched.