Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 arrow fletching so many questions? >

arrow fletching so many questions?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrow fletching so many questions?

Old 10-08-2005, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default arrow fletching so many questions?

i havent fletched an arrow in a while so i pulled out my old martin 3 fletch plastic jig. i now know why i have been putting off re- fletching again.the glue i bought was fletchtite platinum. i had some old bohning green flourescent 4" vanes and the glue ate and melted the plastic [:@] the instructions on the glue said it was compatible with all bohning products then i tried some other white and solid green color vanes and although it glued them to my pse carbon 200 arrows it didnt secure them all that well so i broke out the crazy glue gel and it worked great but leaves white crud marks. i scraped sanded down and wiped the old shafts down and wiped down with brake cleaner to make sure i had clean shafts. what is the best glue that sets up fast? also what is the differences in helical degrees. my martin jig allows for right helical im guessing 5 degrees and if i flip the clamps over i can straight fletch them. is it an accuracy issue at longer ranges if i dont put a helical on them? im sure my whisker biscuit would love the straight fletch better. also im a right handed shooter what if i fletched them with a left helical. is there a definative wrong or right.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: arrow fletching so many questions?

I certainly wouldn't use straight fletch for broadhead arrows. I thinkfletching needs some helical or offset to stabilize broadheads. That would definitely make it an accuracy issue. As far as right wing/left wing, it doesn't make any difference.

When you get the white stuff on carbons when using super glue, you've used too much glue and it gooshed out from under the edges of the vane's base. I just put a few drops on the base, then use a toothpick to spread it out evenly before applying the fletch. Remember that super glue is pressure sensitive. You have to apply pressure for about 10 seconds for the glue to bond properly.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quantum XT is the best stuff there is. DO NOT put a helical on your fletchings if you're shooting through a whisker biscuit. It'll destroy your fletchings.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

It'll destroy your fletchings.
I havent found that to be true with dad's bow, and I put a full helical with 5" vanes on his arrows. If you've ever seen slow speed video of an arrow getting shot through a WB, you'd see that the bristles kick out when the fletchings first hit it, then kick back into shape just as the arrow passes through.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

I do believe the Fastset gel works quite well but if you use an excess of it then you will get those white marks you mentioned.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

You could try Flexfletch glue,it's awsome stuff.
gives a great bond that flexes with the vane while holding tight!
it bonds to wood,aluminum,carbon.
did my dad's carbons with a right offset and hadn't had one rip yet
Old 10-11-2005, 04:34 PM

i use saunders i find it to work best for me . i take a tube of regular old super glue gel in the field with me on long hunting trips along with my arizona ez fletch jig.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

My vote is for Goat Tuff glue it has worked really well for feathers and vanes. It is a little pricey ,but well worth it.