Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String Stretch

Old 10-07-2005, 12:57 PM

Default String Stretch

I am fairly new to bow hunting. I have a Reflex Excursion 27" draw, 60 to 70lb draw weight. I have the factory string on it. How can I tell if the string has stretched? Is there some measurement to check. Will a stretched string affect accurracy? I have shot the bow for 2 years almost every day. Do I need to change strings. Help!!!!!

Thanks Bones
Old 10-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: String Stretch

Chances are that it has stretched. All strings stretch for an initial break in period of 200-300 shots then the better ones tend to settle down and not stretch at all. I would suggest replacing the strings and cables and then marking the cams with a lead pencil in order to determine future string stretch.

Old 10-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: String Stretch

Exactly, mark the cams where they pass through the limbs. You can and also measure brace height, A2A length, and the weight of the bow.It's also prudent to have someone help you and measure the actual drawlength of the bow after the new strings are shot in. Very few bows measure what they are marked. Most are longer.

Strings today do not stretch. They creep. This is the proper term for permanent elongation. So when they creep, the brace height will get lower, the A2A will become longer, the bow's peak weight will go up, and the drawlength gets longer. And yes, this can have a profound effect on the tune of the bow, andultimately the accuracy.

Do yourself a favor and opt for some of the better aftermarket strongs like Winner's Choice, Prostring, Vapor Trail or others. These are very high quality, prestretched, pretwisted, and served under pressure. They will creep about 1/8" during a 50 shot breakin (sometimes less) and after that they never move. Your bow stays the same until you replace them again a couple years down the road.