Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Sight screws coming loose...... >

Sight screws coming loose......

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sight screws coming loose......

Old 10-04-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Sight screws coming loose......

After so many shots with my bow the sight screws will work themselves loose and luckily I can hear it and re-tighten them. I have heard that you can use nail polish as it has similar properties to Loc-tite but you can get them loose when necessary. Anyone else heard of this? Have any ideas?

Kent
Old 10-04-2005, 08:52 PM

Default RE: Sight screws coming loose......

I put clear nail polish on my screw threads when mounting a scope on my guns. Dont see where it would hurt to do it on your bow sites. Sounds like you got alot of vibration going on.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well the first thing you do is get the site where you want it.Clamp it down nice and firm on the table.Get the tig welder from the garage and tack it in place.Try to keep the welds clean though,no point in buying expensive equipment to have big blobs of weld showing.Touch it up with a little paint and should be good to go.Even a bow vibrating real bad wont affect the site,unless of course the pins rattle loose.

Use the wifes clear nail polish,it does work.
I do agree with the vibrations though.Might want to check the bow over and maybe put some Sims products on it.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use #242 Loctite. It's blue but usually comes in a little red tube. Remember the number.

And while your at it get some good accessories on the bow to tame down the vibration. Limb Savers, Leeches, A good stabilizer just to name a few.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:31 PM

What kind of sight is it? I had a trophy ridge sight that did that. No matter how tight you tightened it or loc tite..it would come loose. Not where it mounted to the riser but the dovetail part for the elevation adjustment. I got rid of that sight for that reason and also one of the pins brokeoff whileI was walking through a thicket and some briars caught it. I now have an Impact Archery sight and VOILA no more problems. Excellent sight and by far the brightest I've ever used. Its even brighter than the cobra radiant WITH the light on.I won't own another trophy ridge...I know lots of people love 'em, just not me
Old 10-06-2005, 07:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with BGfisher's comments about the loktite though I have used finger nail polish as well.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like the threads are oversized, probably from being machined with a dull tap. That's the kind of stuff that happens when you put one of those 'machine operators' (or what us machinists call 'semi-trained monkeys' ) in charge of a CNC milling machine and don't have any in-process quality assurance procedures.

The blue LockTite will do the trick. Another trick you can do is take a ball bearing, one just about twice the size of the tapped holes, sit the ball bearing on top of the hole and whack it with a hammer. Do that to each hole. It'll close up that top thread a little so it won't be so loose. Then do the LockTite deal and never have to worry about them coming loose again, until you decide to loosen them.

Or send the sight back and tell them you want one that was done right.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've also found that if you put a little string wax on the thread's will work as well.

nubo