Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 NEw bow questions >

NEw bow questions

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

NEw bow questions

Old 09-30-2005, 02:44 AM

Default NEw bow questions

I'm looking to start bowhunting and don't even know where to begin. What is a good draw weight to start at? How much should i be spending, what bows are good all around bows?
Old 09-30-2005, 04:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: NEw bow questions

I would go to a good pro shop and see what you can pull back with no problem.don't start to high in draw weight it will only cause you problems.they can also measure you for what draw length you need.as far as bows I wouldn't go the cheap way.I would recommend a diamond by bowtech this is a good starting bow without spending the high dollar.a guy at work just got one and loves it.he hasn't shot these newer bows in about 15 years and said for the money these shot awsome!! hoyt makes good bows to start with too.your going to be looking at about 500.00 to 600.00 to get everything you need.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

Do you really want to subject yourself to an addiction that will inflict you for the rest of your life??? TURN BACK NOW, BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!

Seriously, go to a pro shop, not WalMart. I am sure some members on here that are familiar with your area can direct you to a reputable shop. Make sure you get a bow that fits. By that I mean not only draw weight, but draw length, etc. It is VERY important that you start off with equipment that fits you. Price can certainly be an issue. Remember that the bow is just the start of the cost. You will need a rest, sights, stabilizer, arrows and other smaller items to get started. There are some really good packages with some good bows that are "reasonably" priced. These generally include all you need to get started. An example is the Bowtech Tomcat package.

Once you get your equipment, get with some experienced archers and learn to shoot properly from the start. Don't try to muddle through on your own and learn the wrong way, which you will then have to correct later, making it much harder than it had to be. Just like about any other sport, there are avenues to helpful people. Search out an archery club or league in your area and I bet you will find people very willing to help you.

As far as hunting goes, learn your archery and shooting first. If you are already a hunter, you will find transitioning to bowhunting is not a hard thing.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:40 AM

It difficult to buy a bad bow today. Most companies put out a comparable, competively priced bow line-up. A bow shop with the reputation for being the most knowledable in your area, is the best place to start your search. The brand isn't important, but the tuning and set up of your new bow are critical, especially for a beginner. Concentrate on getting the best people to help you and pay little attention to the brand.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Visit your local proshop.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:59 AM

UTHunter,

I'm basically in the same boat as you, since I'm considering getting into bowhunting myself for the first time. The people here and on archerytalk.com are very helpful in giving you some helpful tips...and I will tell you that it is very true when they say 'find a good local pro shop and talk to them about what you're looking to do'.

It can be a bit intimidating to walk in a place like that, w/o any knowledge of the sport...I know it was for me, but if you are able to visit a few different shops, you'll find that most folks are glad to help you and will take the time to help you learn some basics about what to look for and what to know when choosing your gear. You can read lots of great information, reviews and opinions (lots of those ) on the web, but ultimately you'll have to hit the pro shops and get your hands on a few bows to find what fits you best.

here is a great site for LOTS of information that helps define the many aspects of choosing a compound bow. It was very, very helpful to me:
http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm

some very good entry-level bows I would think are:

Reflex Grizzly
Parker HunterMag
Martin Saber

Best of luck and keep us updated in how the learning/gear choosing process goes!
Old 09-30-2005, 10:35 PM

UT hunter,
What area do you live in? There are a few good pro shops around. The new Cabelas is great because they have about every bow out there in stock. The bad is the two times I went in, no one there seemed real experienced. If you live south Payson Sports has a fair selection and a guy in there named Kevin really knows his stuff. He is modest and quiet but he is a great guy and a great archer. I dont like the Sportsmans Warehouse in Provo but I hear the one in SLC is better.

The best advice is shoot evey bow you can get your hands onand buy whatever feels best to YOU (and what you can afford)

A few good bows that are budget friendly are:
1-Diamond Rapture
2-Reflex Buckskin
2-Bowtech Tomkat
3-Reflex Grizzly

The listis in my preference when I was bow shopping, Yes there was a tie for #2

Definately get in from a pro shop so they can help you set it up properly. Nothing is worse than a poorly set up bow trust me I learned the hard way.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:21 AM

Thanks guys for the info. There is a Cabelas close to me so i will probably go there. 300RUM i live in Provo and the advice about the sportsman wherehouse service is right on. They don't seem to know much about most of the products they sell that i've checked out...(guns, ammo, knives, optics) so i wouldn't expect any help in the archer either.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:17 AM

If you shop at Cabelas make sure you try before you buy. I was at one of their stores yesterday , one of their employees was trying to sell a 30 " ata bow to a fellow that had a 30"plus drawlength. I "suggested" the angle of the bowstring at his drawlength would be pushing it and that he might try a bow in the 32 " to 34" ata range. The response was "He allready has a 37" ata bow".
Old 10-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I worked in the Pro Shop at Gander Mountain for a little over a year until I had to go to college. You HAVE TO go to a pro shop of some kind. The weight really depends on you. DO NOT GO TOO HEAVY. It's better to go light and be comfortable than anything. As far as bow's go a Diamond is a great buy. Keep your eye on a rapture, however the diamond I would realy recommend is the Victory. Paralell limbs are the way to go. Just make sure the pro shop let's you try it out. Also make sure the fit you to the right draw length, weight and the right arrows. As far as arrows go, you absolutely can't go wrong with Gold Tips. Buy yourself a burlap target and some field points and start flinging arrows. You'll be addicted in no time.

Quick Reply: NEw bow questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.