Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 broadhead sharpness tests >

broadhead sharpness tests

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

broadhead sharpness tests

Old 09-20-2005, 04:47 PM

Default broadhead sharpness tests

looking to sharpen some of last years broadheadsand was looking for some advise on how to check for appropiate sharpness for deer hunting. Also any advise on sharpening would be helpful as well.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:50 PM

Default RE: broadhead sharpness tests

What type of heads are you using? If it's replaceable blade heads, just buy newblades and don't use 'em till you're in the woods. Use the dull ones for your 3-D target. Heads like Razorbacks, Snuffers, or Montecs can be sharpened with a flat stone and strop or file. Magnus recommends using a file and leaving it at that...burred and what not. Says the edge acts somewhat like a serrated blade. As for two bladed heads, I'd use a file to shape and a fine diamond stick-type to hone and put the edge on. I've heard it said that you should be able to slightly angle the blade(s) on your thumb nail and it should stick, not slide across. Also, slicing paper or shaving arm hairhas been said to be an accurate indicator of sharpness. Reguardless, when sharpening, remember to apply medium pressure initially to achieve thedegree/angle of the blade, and light pressurein the end to hone thatblade. Try to match the "factory"angle on the blades...not too steep, and not to shallow an angleeither.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:17 AM

There are many sharpeners on the market that you just drag down the blade . Me I use a round diamond sharpener and test it with the paper test
Old 09-21-2005, 02:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I test for sharpness by shaving hair. If a head won't shave hair it does not go in my quiver. Depending on the head you can use a varitety of prodcuts to get good results. As to what device to use, it really boils down to exactly what head/heads your talking about.