Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Rocket Steelheads >

Rocket Steelheads

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rocket Steelheads

Old 09-30-2002, 01:23 PM

Default Rocket Steelheads

I haven't gotten a chance to shoot them yet, but I just went and bought a set earlier today to try out tonight. In the past I have shot Thunderheads, but mechanical and more specificly, these steelheads have really caught my eye. I hope they really do shoot the same as my field points.

I just wondered: out of the package the blades on the steelheads seem to have some play (you can wobble them back and forth) while the rubber band is still around the blades. Is this normal and I would think this would have an effect on the accuracy of them if they are moving while in flight.

Also, the rubber band doesn't effect the flight either???

Thanks, I am anxious to test them out this evening!
Old 09-30-2002, 02:43 PM

Default RE: Rocket Steelheads

Hey LongSpur, I am getting mine at the end of the week. I have shot Rockets before (not the steelheads) and the blades were loose in them to. The rubber bands will hole them in flight and being loose should let them open faster. Don

Old 10-01-2002, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

The steelheads are an excellent mechanical head. They have always shot with my field points, but I would still buy some replacement blades and test shoot them before you hunt to make sure. They blades "wiggle" some, but that helps them open, and the rubber band doesn't effect the flight to any noticable degree.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 10-01-2002, 02:53 PM

Thanks.

Well I am a believer now. I got to test them out last night with a few shots and they were dead on at 20yds the same as my field points!

That is nice. Tonight I'll get to try them at some other distances hopefully.

If you only shoot the broadhead a couple times do you really think its necessary to change the blades? Do you think a couple shots makes them that much more dull? It seems that the blades aren't very sharp to begin with on these rockets, but with the penetration you get I am not to worried about that at all!
Old 10-02-2002, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

AT the very least I would resharpen them. Like you said the Rocket blades are not that sharp to begin with, and I believe in using the sharpest blades possible.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 10-02-2002, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

How do you sharpen these blades that are so small? I shoot steelheads and have always just repolaced the blades after one shot. Is there a tool that works best, or can you sharpen it like a knife on a stone.