Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Rocket Steelheads?

Old 12-13-2007, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Rocket Steelheads?

Wally World is having thier annual clearance. Rocket Steelheads are $11 for a 3 pack. I shoot 100gr. What do you think of these heads? I have always used fixed blades but I'm thinking about these for turkeys.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rocket Steelheads?

I have shot them they fly excellent just like a field point,I've heard good reports on these I actually had a bad experiance with them on a wallmount 8 point that I had found 2.5 weeks later almost 500yds from where I had shot it,I never used them again.I shot a buck this year with the 2in. two blade Rage slipcam broadhead and it looked liked it was shot with a 30-06 the Rage broadhead was very impressive........Ted
Old 12-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive personaly not shot the steel head but have heard good things about it. I have shot the mini blasters and them things make a heck of a hole. Blades bend pretty easy though. I did shoot their ultimate steel fixed blade and was not impressed at all. But hey for 11 bucks why not try them and see for yourself. I personaly think they would be great for turkeys as long as your not shooting through mesh out of a blind.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

Wally World is having thier annual clearance. Rocket Steelheads are $11 for a 3 pack. I shoot 100gr. What do you think of these heads? I have always used fixed blades but I'm thinking about these for turkeys.
Took 2 deer this season with rocket steelhead 100 grain. Shot a doe at 20 yards, she did not know what hit her. She just stood there after the shot and i thought i had missed. Then she started to walk off and then finally once she realized what happened, she started to run off but she didnt even make it 15 yards and she was done. Double lung pass thru.

Took a real nice 8 pointer at 25 yards a week later. Did not have the greatest angle, actually hit just above the front leg, the steelhead penetrated bone almost 3/4ths of the way up the arrow. The buck took off and fell over dead 40 yards from my tree. No tracking involved in either of these cases.

Only downside i could find is the blood trail was minimal up until the point of where the deer actually went down. But when you consider that neither one made it 50 yards, not too big of a deal since it takes a while for the blood to start pouring out good to begin with. For 11 bucks, i would pick up a set. Im thinking of trying the Rage next year myself, but i will have my steeleheads around too. They fly exactly like the field tips too.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have taken dozens of deer with this head....including two this season. They are a great head and I plan on continuing to use them until I find something better.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:17 AM

I have a buddy that shoots the steelheads and he swears by em. I killed the first turkey I have ever killed with a my bow this year with the hammerheads and they were awesome! 2 inch cut did the job and did it fast. Hit is right at the base of the neck at 30 yards and thats where it stayed!
Old 12-14-2007, 11:03 AM

I love them. I was a bit concerned when Trophy Ridge bought em out, but they only made them better. The older heads had a really short thread shank which only screwed into the inset a couple of turns. Now, they are longer and much more secure.
I shot a doe on tuesday, and the exit wound was an 1 1/2" and took the hide and fur right off! I think you'll like them. There is no noticable flight change out to 40 yards. I don't shoot much at 50 so I can't help you there.
At 11 bucks for 3 thats a good deal. I found a guy on ebay who had them at 2 pks for $25 which I thought was good.
Anyway, get 'em. They're nice broadheads.