Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Ok please help with my form (pics included) >

Ok please help with my form (pics included)

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Ok please help with my form (pics included)

Old 08-27-2005, 06:49 AM

Default RE: Ok please help with my form (pics included)

i just disagree with touching the string to your nose. with a long ata bow its fine, but with a short ata bow its impossible without cocking your neck - which is not good for your neck, your form, your repeatability, or anything that has to do with shooting.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: savedbygrace

No, at this point I'm not gonna buy another bow. but thank you all for your comments. By the way my wingspan is 65.5inches
OK, now I can say that your draw is too long. About an inch + whatever the length of the string loop. You can still shorten the release, and a recommend it. Also get the string loop shortened up It only needs to be long enough so the release jaws don't hit your nocks.

It's hard to sit and pick apart somebody's form and say change this and change that. Doing everything at one time really throws a guy off. Change what you can for now, and feel fairly comfortable with. Do things in stages, giving your muscles time to adjust to those changes. Then move onto something else.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:32 AM
Typical Buck

First off my main concern is the lack of clearnce beyond the rest your arrow has..Maybe you could move the rest back a hair,and let some of that excess pressure off of the cable,due to the cord being too tight like bigbulls said.You look like you have a loose grip,as far as your fingers aren't tightly gripping the grip.That's great.Your anchor points seem fine.Your right arm seems to be too stiff,but I understand it's because you are trying to make up for the dl.Your back elbow could come down a little.Have you thought about using a nock instead?That would help.I'm sure that rackmaster will work with a nock too.You have a nice set up there.I hope I helped.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:23 PM

possibly try practicong in your camo and hunting gear, it will greatly increase your accuracy in the field
Old 08-31-2005, 10:34 AM

Thanks to all you guys for your input. I was thinking about doing away with the string loop and just using a brassnock but I've heard so many bad things about using only a nock and how it can greatly affect your accuracy that I was nervous about using one. Any opinions? I have heard someone say to use a brass nock on top and a "cushion plunger" on bottom and hook my release under the plunger but I dont know what that is and if it would help. If I need to lose the string loop what are my best options to use for the best accuracy?
Old 09-01-2005, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Saved,

You can remove the loop and shoot off the string. You'll probably need a eliminator button between the nock and release, but it does work. That's how we shot for years. String loops have only gotten popular in the last couple years. As for using a brass nockset? That can work, but remember to tie some serving material or dental floss above it to keep it from moving. A better bet is to just tir on a nockset using serving material. It works just as well and doesn't suck as much speed away (4fps per brass one).
You'll most likely have to retune the bow, as this is a major change mechanically. But it doesn't require major tuning change as a norm.
On a personal basis I use a rope release (Cascade model 8) which has the "loop" on the release so I don't even use an elimator button. Never have.

An additional note to your form. With proper drawlength and everything you should, with your short draw, still be able to touch your nose to the string. Giving you can example, I have a bow set for 27" draw. My anchor allows the string to ride slightly off to the side of my chin. The string contacts my lips about 1/4" from center and my nose touches the string. This with a 32" bow. My wingspan is 67.5" so by the book I'm slightly too long but it still works.
Someday when you have everything adjusted just so you should be able to look at your target, never taking your eyes off it, and draw the bow to your anchor, never moving your head even the slightest bit. If you have to move your head at all the bow doesn't fit.