Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

trophy taker

Old 07-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Spike

Default trophy taker

I shoot a PSE Firestorm Lite. I've had nothing but trouble with my flethching hitting the cables. I used to shoot a TM hunter style rest (cock vane DOWN) Today, I bought a Trophy Taker shaky hunter rest and I'm curious as to how I should turn my nocks for the best clearance. My thought process is that if I turn the nocks so that the cock vane is facing AWAY from the bow, I'd get the best fletching clearance from the cables, but not sure if I can do this with this rest. Their website has no "contact us" info. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:53 PM

Default RE: trophy taker

u should have bought a biscuit.....then it wouldn't matter!
Old 07-28-2005, 09:15 PM

You need to rotate your arrows so that the cock vane is pointing up. That will give you the most clearance with the rest.

If your vanes are hitting the cables, loosen the set screw that holds the cable guide rod and rotate the rod until you have clearance. Tighten the set screw again and you should be good.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:06 AM

I just put the Shakey Hunter on my daughter's bow and you can shoot with cock vane up or down. Personally, I shoot my QAD with the vane up and have my daughter do the same just to avoid any potential contact.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:33 PM

I have the Trophy Taker/Shakey Hunter rest too. I think it's one of the best there is.

In my experience, you can turn the nock any where you want and it will clear the rest every time. I think that if you turn it to where you get the cable clearance you need, then you're all set.

Personally, I shoot with the cock vane up.

Good luck, Kev
Old 07-29-2005, 05:02 PM

I have one brand new, never out of the package I will sell to a good home. I shoot a Drop Zone, with the cock vane up. Unless I am mistaken, if the timing is set right on the rest, theoretically it shouldn't matter.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:25 PM

I shoot the same rest as well, and I've found that I slightly contact the rest if I shoot with the cock feather down. No problems when the cock feather is up though. Try putting a substance (baby powder works well) on the rest and shoot your arrow in a few different orientations. Take a look at the rest to see if there is a contact mark after each shot.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:51 PM

I shot the Shakey last year with the cock feather up which worked good for me. This year I'm using a biscuit and it works even better!!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 04:29 PM
Spike

I did turn the cable guard all the way to 90 degrees(which PSE doesn't recomend) and still hitting the cables. I think I will try turning the nocks just enough so the fletching clears and see where that gets me. As for the Whisker biscuit, I shoot the NAP Quik-spins and heard that the biscuit will tear off the kickers...not sure though. Thanks for all the help!
Old 08-01-2005, 05:57 PM

I have mine facing out. Plenty of clearence and I use a strong helical.