Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Got some Slick Tricks, not entirely impressed. >

Got some Slick Tricks, not entirely impressed.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Got some Slick Tricks, not entirely impressed.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got some Slick Tricks, not entirely impressed.

Just opened my package and began assembling them, the latent blade( last one to slide through) took a little nuding but with a little thumb pressure underneath the blade they seated well. - trhowing star
mine did too
Old 07-07-2005, 07:14 PM

For cryin out loud, go to home depot and get a lansky sharpener for a few bucks and stroke the blades a few times. These blades are thick and will hold an edge through an animal. .35 vs .20 for muzzy. I love this head.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:51 PM

hey they dont have to be razor sharp because they are traveling at 280 FPS++ a field tip at that speed could kill a game animal
Old 07-08-2005, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

hey they dont have to be razor sharp because they are traveling at 280 FPS++ a field tip at that speed could kill a game animal
You're kidding???? Right?
Old 07-08-2005, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't have to be razor sharp? Well, shoot what you want I guess, but I will never shoot a marginally sharp broadhead again. The story?

Two years ago, I was unable to get my Slick Trick broadheads "hair shaving sharp". These were from a package that came out the first year. I got them as sharp as I could, and put 2 Slick Trick tipped arrows in my quiver as backups to my 100 gr. Muzzys. I hadn't been seeing deer, so being a little superstitious, I pulled a Slick Trick arrow out of the quiver for the evening hunt. I got a shot on a big doe, the arrow broke 3 ribs going in, the off side shoulder on exit. The arrow broke off inside (probably at the shoulder), never found the front part of the arrow. The deer ran about 80 yards and piled up loudly. So far it sounds pretty good, huh? Well, there was 1, ONE tiny drop of blood on that entire trail. I found 3 places where she urinated, so I think I looked pretty closely. [:@]

Now, I am NOT blaming the Slick Trick broadhead, OK. The problem was that I made a shot with a head that was not properly sharp. It did quite a bit of damage for sure, but if the blades aren't sharp enough, you might not get enough bleeding, especially on the outside of the deer where it can be seen and followed.

To follow up on other comments in this thread, since that incident, I have used a Loray sharpener (similar to the Lansky) to get my Slick Trick blades very sharp. They can be made very sharp, and those thick blades should be much tougher than the blades of many other heads out there.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default QUESTION!

You guys that use your Lansky sharpeners on your blades, how do you do it? I have a hard time getting the stone to meet the blade because the blade is so close to the blade holder/bracket. Maybe I have an old model or something, but the stone hits the bracket and won't get low enough to touch the blade. Any thoughts??
Old 07-08-2005, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: QUESTION!

I put the back point of the triangular blade in the holder. The blade you want to sharpen sticks out maybe 3/8" to 1/2".
Old 07-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

Now why didn't I think of that??

Thanks Joe!
Old 07-09-2005, 07:24 PM

Funny, I put off buying Slick tricks for a year, but could not stand it anymore because I was reading so much good about them on this forum. My last posting before buying them was "Has anyone ever had a negative experience with Slick Tricks". Again I got all positive comments. SoI bought a pack. I was disappointed in the sharpness, but their flight was so much like my field tips, I could not help but like them. I have sharpened them on my Lansky, and plan to again before using them. The only problem is 3 broadheads with 4 blades each, it is like having to sharpen 12 knives.
2 days ago I bought my first set of Stingers. They were wicked sharp. However I have not yet had a chance to see how they fly. September I am going for both Caribou and moose, so i have some decisions to make real soon. Now I am started to second guess my Slick Tricks on such large game.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:28 PM

ORIGINAL: JOE PA

I put the back point of the triangular blade in the holder. The blade you want to sharpen sticks out maybe 3/8" to 1/2".

Joe PA,

Do you use the sharpener on the smallest angle?