Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Got some Slick Tricks, not entirely impressed. >

Got some Slick Tricks, not entirely impressed.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Got some Slick Tricks, not entirely impressed.

Old 07-05-2005, 06:09 PM

Default RE: Got some Slick Tricks, not entirely impressed.

Has anyone had any problems with the Slick Tricks kicking off the deer? I shot at a nice buck this past season and I do admit I was up about 29 ft and the arrow kicked off the deers rib cage and never penetrated. This really turned me off these heads. I usually only sit about 20 to 23 ft up but this tree was very open and I needed to get way up. Oh yeah I forgot to mention the deer was only abut 22 yards away so that is a pretty steep angle......I later did shoot a buck with these heads with no problem but I was up about 20 ft and it was a perfect heart shot.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i mighthave to get the stone out and slide it across ema few time
Old 07-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

parker , unforanately I had the same thing happen , but did recover the deer , the head "slid" along the ribs about 3"s before entering the deer . I think this has to do with the angle of the blades and the fact that they are not deadly sharp . If you sharpen them yourself it may lessen or eliminate this . Others have used them with no problems .
Old 07-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

I never put much faith in the arm hair test. I always sharpen my blades, even out of the package, to my liking. Just one of those things. I don't think that I would take them back because they were not 'razor' sharp though. I'd be taking alot of heads back.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

The only head(s) I have ever picked up that are actually 100% as sharp as one could make them are NAP heads. Not stingers, not Muzzy, not Wasp, and certainly not Rocket, none of them. Granted nearly all of them are certainly plenty sharp enough to cleanly slice through an animal with minimal effort but none of them are as sharp as they could be except for NAP.

I always hear about Rocky Mountain heads being incredibly sharp but I have yet to open a pack and get sharp broadheads. They are usually incredibly dull and the edges of the blades seemed to have numerous small nicks along the cutting edges. Like they were shot into a sand pit.

I shot three deer with slick tricks last year and all three would be considered extreme angles by most people from 25 feet up in a tree. They were 3 yards, 10 yards and 12 yards from the base of the trees I was in. None of the three exhibited any "glancing blows" to the animals. I have looked at the angles of the blades and to get one to glance off of an animal it would have to be a very extreme angle or just one of those freak things that sometimes happens.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep. Magnus Stingers. They are almost sharp enough to cut your eyelashes off just by looking at them. Cut on contact just like ST and the warranty for Stingers are better than any other broadhead I have seen. If you break the head in anyway, send it back in and you will get a new head, free of charge. If you kill anything with your Stingers or anything from Magnus anyway, send them a picture of you with your kill and you will get a free hat and T-Shirt.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:16 AM
Fork Horn

..Just opened my package and began assembling them, the latent blade( last one to slide through) took a little nuding but with a little thumb pressure underneath the blade they seated well.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too am suprised. The Slick trick heads have been getting sharper every year since I first began testing them. They are easy to sharpen, but I do agree replaceable blade heads should come from the pack ready to go.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:01 AM

I also checked out the Slick Tricks because of all the good posts about them. The body looked good but I was not impressed with the grinding on the blades. It looked like they were done by hand and the angle changed along the length of the blade. The blade also did not have a straight edge to it. It was kind of wavy. I did not test to see how sharp they were by shaving my arm or cutting paper. I did not get them because I have too many broadheads already and didn't feel they were worth the $20+. If the quality was a little better, who knows. This isn't saying that they are a bad broadhead, just not for me.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

I have been shooting Slick Tricks for 3 years. I have harvested 12 animals with them, and they were all pass thru's, and blood trails a blind man could follow.Ranging from 10 yards to approx32 yards. Both bear and whitetail. I was a die hard Muzzy guy, and have not noticed any downfall in sharpness from switching.They sure do blow through everything and stick 4 inches in the ground for a dull head. I will not say they are sharper than some of the other heads mentioned because I do not know, but they are definetly sharp enough to get the job done. My taxidermy bill proves that. With the durability and accuracy they provide I have yet to find a better head, and I have shot many. I am very surprised regarding deflection. I love quartering away shots, and in fact most of my shots have been that. I have never seen deflection even on pretty sharp angles.

Quick Reply: Got some Slick Tricks, not entirely impressed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.