Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How often replace your bow string? >

How often replace your bow string?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How often replace your bow string?

Old 05-30-2005, 07:17 PM
jkb

Default RE: How often replace your bow string?

cool how much are they.I have a 28 inch switchback.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

I may raise some eyebrows with this post but, I honestly don't understand why a string and cable should cost $80 and upwards if they are going to be replaced yearly. My local dealer makes my strings and cables for less, with no stretch. Maybe its Matthews, Bowtech or whatever but I've never had any problems with stock strings from Martin.

Maybe its about time a few of the bow manufacturers demand better strings, or start making their own strings.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:36 AM

I honestly don't understand why a string and cable should cost $80 and upwards if they are going to be replaced yearly.
Although I agree that $80 is a steep price, I don't see what the lifespan of a string has to do with it's price. Price will vary depending on the cost of the materials/equipment, the time taken to tie the string, the warranty, the demand for the product and the level of competition. A machine-made string will always be cheaper to make than a similar hand-made one. However, I'm never using a machine-made string unless quality control goes way up. I have noticed an increase in quality over the last year or two, but most are not as good as a custom string maker's hand-made product.

Although I'm not seeing strings with as much stretch as they had in the past, I'm still frequently seeing strings that will creep 1/2" - 1" in a year's time. Most machine-made servings are still behind in quality and exact length control seems to be missing. I suspect that machine-made strings will continue to see improvement and that it will become easy to get a top quality string and cables for $20-$30, I'm just not sure that is a consistant result at this time.

Every now and then, I take a stock string off a new bow and look it over real careful. I take the servings off, check the length, number of twists, how it was tied, etc. A short time ago, I did this with as a very big-name string company's product. I can say without question that the string they put on this bow was not the same quality of the strings they custom make, and sell independent of any bow. String quality is not obvious to most who buy bows and it is seldom swings a sale. It's a cost saving area for most companies and although many have increased the quality of their stock strings, they haven't put on the very best. Personally, I much prefer to spend my money on the very best string, rather than the "very best" bow (whatever that might be).
Old 05-31-2005, 05:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Considering the amount of shooting you are doing I would probably suggest every 18 months or so. I replace my string/cable every year as I tend to do quite a bit of shooting...at least 3x a week all year round.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:06 AM

I bought my new Golden Eagle a few months back and I love it. However, the string stretched so much it was alarming. It never seemed to stop stretching. Many toldd me it would stop eventually, but it kept on. I priced the winner's Choice strings and almost had a heart attack. $92 for a 90 3/4" string. I had the local shop build a string for me, came to $24, I have shot it about 500 times so far and it is great. I'll have to see how it goes. I shoot at least 100 arrows a day, so only time will tell I guess.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:02 AM

Check out Pro strings.com. Shel makes great strings/cables from the material
you like. I used 8125 material and like it very well. Last set I ordered from him cost
around 50 bucks. I replace mine one a year.