Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 When to replace string >

When to replace string

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

When to replace string

Old 04-14-2006, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default When to replace string

I've been using the same string now for about 3 seasons and was wondering if I should change it. I wax it regularly and there is no fraying whatsoever so can I just keep using it?
Old 04-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When to replace string

My Hoyt manual says "under normal circumtances" replace the string evey two years. I am sure the other guys here will have more to say. What is normal, I donno. I shot my Jennings for 4 years and I can no longer get 70 lbs. I just noticed after not being able to get 70 lbs that the ATA is no where close to specs and I ordered a string. There are a couple of guys here that make strings who I am sure will give you a more tangible answer.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on wear. If you use a release and a string loop the string holds longer. I try to change mine every two years, but end up doing it every year. I think to myself, it gets damp and cold and everything else out there and used for lots of practice arrows and league, so before the season I try to change it, having a bow press helps, and let it get 'shot' in so to speak before season.

Yes maybe it seems weird to change every year, but if ever, and I say if the world class buck comes by, I would hate to miss a shot cause the string broke or something else! Cant put a price on that! [8D]
Old 04-20-2006, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

I change mine every 2 years.I shoot arrows through my bow about2,500- 3,000timesevery year. I always count all my shots so I know how much shot I'm at. Some manuals they require you to change it every year. I guess it all depends on how much you shoot your bow.