Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Timing

Old 05-16-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Timing

I was wonder if anyone times the cam on there single cam bows and if so how?
Old 05-17-2005, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Timing

You do need to keep the cam in proper rotation. If not, performance suffers. Twisting the string and/or cable. Don't believe those that say singles never go out of time/proper rotation.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Simple, draw your bow from a pully, or have a friend draw it and watch the wheels. If they cycle the same, your timing is ok. IF not, then check for junk in the wheels string grove to make sure there is no dirt or crude. If its ok, then check your limbs tiller and make sure it is set correctly.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:57 AM

Yea, i check it. Like the others said, you have make sure the cam is in the right position. On mathews bows, there are two holes on the bottom and top of the cam that when lined up should run parallel to the string(assuming your limbs are pressed all the way to the bottom). When they align, your bow is timed.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

burnie, single cam, not dually.

I have an opinion on this single cam timing issue. If you are paying close attention to detail when you adjust the bow to yourself then you may have to twist the string or cables a bit to tweak the drawlength to fit you, down to the last 1/8" if you're anal about it. This may throw the cam out of it optimum rotation a hair. This usually will cost you some speed, but nothing else. I think it's much more important to get the drawlength optimumized than worry about a few fps. So if you get that part right without going to extremes who cares where the cam is orientated?
Old 05-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

burnie, single cam, not dually.

Then that is a little different. Whoops, I missed that, sorry. On my single cams, I simply keep the tiller correct and call it good. I have yet to have a problem
Old 05-18-2005, 06:49 PM

bg fisher has it right. you might have to twist your cables to get the timing correct.