Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

turkey beard

Old 04-16-2005, 01:57 PM

Default turkey beard

I shot a turkey this year and I am doing a tail, beard, and spurs mount. I have instructions for the tail and spurs, but nothing for the beard. I have romoved the beard from the bird and cut about a 1" diameter of skin around the beard and it is in the fridge. How much skin do I remove from the beard so that I can mount it, and not have it fall apart?
Old 04-18-2005, 06:50 AM

Default RE: turkey beard

I always leave just a little skin on the beard,not much just a little 1/4" maybe.then I either tie it with a small leather string and hang it or if you are going to put it with the tail and spurs.it depends on how you did them.I did one once for a guy,when he got the tail spread it was starting to smell,so he brough it to me. I redid it and the feet,took some apoxy and dipped the end of the beard into it and stuck it where he wanted it and let it set.(be sure it's where you want it) it doesn't move once it is set.

apoxy will do a good job of holding it where you want it.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:10 PM

Default RE: turkey beard

When I remove a beard from a turkey its a simple process but until you've done it you'll be a little nervous about it.

Just grab the bird firmly toward the base. While using the other hand to push against the birds breast, just yank the beard out. It will come out roots and all. Then to anchor the beard into a panel or maybe a shotgun shell brass just set the base in hot glue.

I don't find it necessary to cut skin off with the beard, but it isn't necessarily wrong to do it that way if that is the way you choose.