Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

trout

Old 04-20-2005, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default trout

i found a few whopped trout hiding out...i really want one BAD...and am preparing to go after them exclusevly....i want one for the wall....whats the best way to go about this? i want it to look life life....i never saw a repo that looked REAL....ive seen a bunch from guys around here.....they all are WAY too bright and the color shades arent right....they just look too fake...so im guessing killing the fish will be nessisarry....i want it to look JUST like the fish down to the millimeter and color specks....and ive seen skin mounts from some guys around here that look good.....whats a good price to pay for a good skin mount per inch? what about a repo just incase i find a good guy later on??....and i know i need a deposite down on the fish to get it started.....i wont have that for a few months....and dont have a few months to let these fish go....these streams heat up and the trout die or are caught out......or if htey do make it....very few....they are holed in one hole if they dont die...these are all stockers...if i dont keep a 22 inch bow' the next guy definently would....these are put and take streams...but i just rolled my truck..owe dad money for that....and owe my uncle the rest of the money i owe him for buying the truck from him....it will be all done in a few months tops...how do i got about keeping the fish safe?? i got a freezer big enough....i just want it to look great when its done....should i take pics ASAP after catching it?? i hear the best time for bigguns is dark.....so it might be an hour before i get a good pic...does that matter? i can catch it and run to the truck and try to get my lights on it and see if i can get a few pics...what do you guys think?? if i do catch one for the wall i dont wanna mess it up...thanx guys
Old 04-21-2005, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: trout

Taking good pictures can't hurt a thing, but most taxidermists each have their own way of painting fish. To keep it in the freezer, wrap it in a soaked towel, place that in a plastic bag and freeze. It will last for a VERY long time that way. You have some great taxidermists up your way. Frank Katula does beautiful work. http://hometown.aol.com/basswtrout/F...udioindex.html
For really good work, expect to pay over $12/inch. Possibly a good bit more, but everybody has their own price. I'm not so up to date on fish prices.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Freeze it FLAT. I've just wrapped mine in cling wrap, then a good wrap in freezer paper. That will keep them a good while. Pics ASAP of your fish will help you to tell the taxi how YOU want it to look. Also don't put any extra holes in the fish when putting it on a stringer. Shop around and look at many people's work. Most have a particular style and people's tastes determine whether or not they like them. Find the person whose work YOU like, don't go off of anyone else's word. TRUST me on that one.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx alot guys.......hope to tie into one worthy of the wall...when i do ill freeze it right.....