Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 The world of sculpal >

The world of sculpal

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

The world of sculpal

Old 04-24-2004, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default The world of sculpal

This is my story of getting started in the taxidermy world and I would like to hear how others got started and how they are doing now?

I went to the Colorado Institute of taxidermy. It was in my opinion a first rate school.

I love doing game heads and fish. Reptiles have really not gotten into. Lifesize is really cool but so far i'm still doing small animals. I get a bigger walk in cooler I may do bigger animals. I suck at birds I'll be very truthful on that. Maybe cuz I don't hunt birds that often lol.

My favorite part of taxidermy is finish work. I love to build bases and habitat scenes. I would do that for a living if there was a need for that much work.

I mainly do most of my work now for myself and friends. I'm too busy the rest of the year to do much commerial taxidermy. But its still fascinationg to me.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:00 PM

Default RE: The world of sculpal

Cherokee,

Have you talked to Jerry in awhile? When did you go to CITT? See I hated fish. Jerry used to say "Come up with a slogan for your shop", mine was (couldn't tell him that) "Got a trout? Get the F out!" Did I say I hated fish? Did you ever see Jerry work with sculpal on a euro mount? One of the neatest things I've seen.
Later
Old 04-26-2004, 01:34 PM

Default RE: The world of sculpal

I went to Piedmont Community College a couple years before they closed the program and learned from Ralph Garland.Since then I had been part time a few years and went fulltime a few years back.I deal with everything.Most people dont like fish but they are my favorite.I do them wholesale for other taxidermists because I like doing them so much.I get a lot of deer and a few bears.I deal with reptiles a little bit here and there.I get a lot of waterfowl.The people in my area are big on turkey hunting but I dont get many of them.I attend the occasional show.I like to compete with fish but have won ribbons with about everything.I would like to do fish seminars at shows a few years down the road.