Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Taxidermist Screwed up my mount now what? >

Taxidermist Screwed up my mount now what?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Taxidermist Screwed up my mount now what?

Old 07-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default Taxidermist Screwed up my mount now what?

I have a deer mount that is splitting what recourse do I have?
Old 07-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where is it splitting and how long have you had it? Where do you hang it?
Old 07-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Usually your recourse is buy a new cape, and take it to a competent taxidermist this time. I'm going to assume if there is splitting, there are plenty of other problems as well.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

The hide is splitting in a couple of places the major noticeable spot is near the eye its splitting from the corner of the eye. And there are a few other spots on the hide that are just splitting in various spots. As to the response asking me where I have it hanging its never been in direct sun light. About 6 months after I picked it up it started doing this. What irritates me is the same taxidermist did 2 other mounts for me, my grandfathers Fallow Deer mount and my Bison mount both of which are splitting as well. I've got another taxidermist I've spoken with and he said the tanning solution that was used was most likely too strong but I don't know. I can get a new hide for the two deer mounts but I can't readily replace the Bison hide. From what you guys are saying though there is little I can do though to get the taxidermist to repair the damaged mounts. Is there anything I can do in the future with any mounts to safeguard myself? Thats $2,000 in mounts that have problems now.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Spike

Sunlight isn't the only thing that can cause cracking..do you have it over a fireplace, or somewhere else that gets alot of heat? High humidity? Those factors can create alot of problems. Your taxidermist should be able to fix these spots for you. You can get bison capes easily enough, but they aren't cheap. The problems around the eyes should be easily fixed without doing a remount.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah No high humidity, no sunlight, nothing. I have another mount in the same room that has been there longer and its still perfect. I guess I will just have to get new capes for the deer mounts and the bison mount isn't horrible I think a taxidermist could potentially fix it.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cracks shouldnt be a hard problem to fix. I surely wouldnt pay the money to remount a deer just for a little crack, unless the mount was pretty rough looking. I would just take it back to the taxidermist and ask if he could touch up the cracks, I know if someone brought a mount that I did for them back to me I would do it for free. Gotta keep the customer happy
Old 07-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by KYDeerHunter03
I would just take it back to the taxidermist and ask if he could touch up the cracks...
I disagree. If the heads are all coming back with problems I wouldn't want that taxidermist anywhere near them. I'm also confused...if the fallow and bison are cracking, why would you keep using the same taxidermist?
Old 07-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

They were done at the same time. I haven't done anything with this guy since. We had 3 head go in at one time. My Bison, My Wifes Fallow, and My grandfathers Fallow, not to mention the elk hide of my fathers that he was supposed to turn into basically an elk rug more or less that when we got it back was an elk raw hide with hair on it (he swore up and down he worked for hours trying to break it). No this taxidermist won't be getting anymore of my business. Just didn't know if there was any recourse I could take but from the sounds of it this is a learning experience and write it off as so. I appreciate the input from everyone though.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like ALOT of work done for 2000.$ You pay for what you get.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.