Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Taxidermist Screwed up my mount now what? >

Taxidermist Screwed up my mount now what?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Taxidermist Screwed up my mount now what?

Old 07-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vermont bowhunter
alot of mounts are ruined befor the guy ever does the mount.who caped the hide ,most hunters have no idea how to do a cape right,,,you have to be very carefull around the eyes and inside the lips of the deer...one little slip and boom...it sounds like the skin around the eyes wernt right and he used putty and painted it to match,,this is done alot near the eye tear ducts..ill bet he didnt cape the animal so he cant fix what someone else screwed up..most that can be hoped for is do the best he can....a good mount starts as soon as the animal hits the ground....
true that..i always leave the head and shin, or leg bone in the hide, just turn it in whole, gotta keep er cold though...let the taxi do what they want...
always a good idea to cape everything ya kill...practice makes perfect, and who wants ta screw up the one that counts?
Old 07-31-2010, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

Each one of these mounts the cape was delivered to the taxidermist with the skull still in it. He skinned it off the skull and did all the fleshing and turning of the lips and eyes.