Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
Taxidermist Screwed up my mount now what? >

Taxidermist Screwed up my mount now what?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Taxidermist Screwed up my mount now what?

Old 07-07-2010, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

1400 on the Bison, 375 on each deer so I guess its actually about 2150. Those aren't inexpensive prices. They aren't the most expensive either.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TimberlandTaxidermy
I disagree. If the heads are all coming back with problems I wouldn't want that taxidermist anywhere near them. I'm also confused...if the fallow and bison are cracking, why would you keep using the same taxidermist?
my bad lol maybe find a more REPUTABLE taxi to touch them up? of course you will have to pay, but its better than re-doing a mount

do you know if he tanned or dry preserved his hides?
Old 07-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

I believe they were tanned. According to another taxidermist I spoke with the tanning solution was too strong causing excessive shrinking in the hide (I have no clue if its true or not I'm not a taxidermist). He says the good news is After about 6 months it should be done. So I'm past the point of any more cracking according to him. If that is all they are going to crack I can live with it. Its barely noticable on the Fallow due to the color and my bison its just minimal cracking less than 1 inch long in 3 places.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

375 is pretty freaking cheap.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

375 is about the going rate where I'm at. Anywhere from 350-425. Most of the taxidermists are charging either 375 or 400 though.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like Dry Preserve mounts , instead of a tanned mount.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TimberlandTaxidermy
375 is pretty freaking cheap.
Goes to show you get what you pay for. I spend $500 on my shoulder mounted whitetails. And that is after I caped it, fleshed it and salted the hide. Expensive yes but better than spending the rest of my life looking at my mount and thinking boy that looks like crap.

That sucks to have something like a bison mounted and then have that happen. Sorry to hear that! I haven't had any problems with my hides coming back from the tannery. Carolina does a good job with their wet tans, no slippage or torn tear ducts or shredded ears to have to fix or sew up.

Last edited by 4evrhtn; 07-09-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

It sounds like a dry preservative was used for your mount and rug, this will cause a lot of cracking because it is basically a raw skin. Just don't use that taxidermist anymore and find one that can give you some references.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

3 strikes and your out!!!
find a new guy, google them, if 500 good things pop up..use em..if ya find bad stuff written on google, keep searchin...the internet is the most abundant source of info there is, if he messed someones stuff up, just like you, someone said somethin..you just forgot to mention who you used!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

alot of mounts are ruined befor the guy ever does the mount.who caped the hide ,most hunters have no idea how to do a cape right,,,you have to be very carefull around the eyes and inside the lips of the deer...one little slip and boom...it sounds like the skin around the eyes wernt right and he used putty and painted it to match,,this is done alot near the eye tear ducts..ill bet he didnt cape the animal so he cant fix what someone else screwed up..most that can be hoped for is do the best he can....a good mount starts as soon as the animal hits the ground....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.