Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 First heads of career out the door >

First heads of career out the door

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

First heads of career out the door

Old 01-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default First heads of career out the door

These are the 3rd through 7thheads I've ever done.I am a 20 year old college student majoring in Wildlife Management at UW-SP and have aways loved taxidermy and watching my uncle. Last year he told me if I shoot a buck that I could come and mount it while he taught me. I shot two bucks last year and they turned out great. I've always wanted to be a taxidermist so i bought all my own equipment in august and got started on my buddy's buck from 05 that we got a cape for (I suprised my uncle by showing up at his shop with the head unpainted and he was confused as heck cuz i never told him I got my own stuff. He was then thrilled once he figured it out. I thank him for the lessons). I then got my state license and opened my buisiness during this years season and have gotten 9 heads to do including my bow kill from word of mouth basically. I also have some pelts to do, full body fox and fisher as well which should be interesting getting them started in the next couple weeks. This spring I plan on having a booth at a couple of sports shows in the area to get the 09 season going. So here it is finished them today my 3rd through 7th mount (in order of pics) I've ever done and my first 4 sales (the second one is my bow kill from Nov). All four guys loved their deer!!

Old 01-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First heads of career out the door

I'm no pro but i think they are all very nice
Old 01-21-2009, 05:03 AM
Typical Buck

Very nice.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice. But do yourself a favor, get some good reference and use it. Your eyes aren't the correct shape but a very clean mount nonetheless.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:20 PM

nice
Old 01-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nctaxi

Nice. But do yourself a favor, get some good reference and use it. Your eyes aren't the correct shape but a very clean mount nonetheless.
Please enlighten me onthe correct eye shapethen cuz mine look very similar to these photos and not so much likemost of thenon agressive onesin your gallery. I know there is things I need to work on and I had this on taxidermy.net and the only negative comment about eye was that they looked dull and that was because I forgot to use glass cleaner on them before I took the pics. I'm just trying to help understand what you think is wrong with them cuz I dont see it. WCL

Old 01-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 01-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

very nice work
Old 01-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Typical Buck

WOW man. Great work. I'm not a Taxi or anything, but I like to stop in here and check out the work sometimes. Yours is definitely some of the best I have seen.

I even checked your location with my fingers crossed hoping you were somewhere in Illinois...I was interested in bringing some stuff to you, lol.

And by the way, like I said I'm not a Taxi and don't have experience with this stuff, but I think the eyes look GREAT.Nice!
Old 01-23-2009, 01:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nctaxi

Bingo! Very first thing I noticed. Take a look at all of the straight on photos you posted of your mounts. Notice anything? The eyes popped right out at me. With that being said, if these really are your first seven mounts then you are going to be a very talented artist. Great job.

Don't take what nctaxi said to offense. He's just trying to help you out.

Quick Reply: First heads of career out the door

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.