Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Question for a Taxidermist >

Question for a Taxidermist

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Question for a Taxidermist

Old 10-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question for a Taxidermist

We had the telephone man come to our house a while back and we started talking about hunting because he seen one of the mounts on the wall I did. He said he might know a guy that may need an apprentice this year. He said he would call with whatever the answer was but he never did. I was just wondering if I should call the guy and ask and how should I ask? Do taxidermists usually like to have apprentices? Sorry the the dumb question.....
Old 10-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question for a Taxidermist

i know a kid working in a shop an an "apprentice" hes working for FREE and been for atleast 6mo!

but, its kinda worth working for free...IF your with a good taxidermist that TEACHES you well...not uses you as a slave....ive seen this guys work....he might be an old timer....but boy i wont take him anything ever again...just hope hes teaching that kid RIGHT. i was so mad i didnt even say anything...3yr wait for a squirrel that looks like it needs to be shot again lol. i was just jacked..

ya...shop around right?? his stuff in the show room looked great...and it wasnt just stuff for the show room...alot was customer mounts waiting to be picked up. but mine and a buddies mount that came out of there looked terrible...

if the taxidermist is a GOOD one, i wouldnt mind working for free and learning the trade...perks are usually doing your own mounts for just material cost...
Old 10-08-2007, 11:52 PM

Yes, we do have apprentices and depending on their attitudedepends how much time we spend teaching up and beyondfleshing hides. All of the grunt workis good for a lot of guys because it gives them a very deep appreciation of what it's like to work with awell takencare of speciman.Their apprenticeship could be as long as 5 yearsdepending on thedifferent mountsthat comes through a guys shop. Hope that helps!
Old 10-09-2007, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks I will give him a call today and see what he says.