Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 bad business with taxidermist? >

bad business with taxidermist?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

bad business with taxidermist?

Old 10-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default bad business with taxidermist?

Is there anything that can be done when a taxidermist takes in antlers for a mount, a deposit, and then doesn't do the service, nor return the antlers?

I don't really want to escalate my issue to the police, but is that all that can be done?

I harvested a buck last Nov. and was going to have a basic antler mount done (not shoulder mount, simply cleaned antlers/base mounted with a little bit of wrap). This guy is giving me the run around. He's even set times for me to meet at his shop, only for me to arrive, and he's closed. I'm driving a good 45 minutes to get to this shop, too.

He tells me it is done, but that the mounting board is not in yet. I'm patient, but I can tell he's not telling me the truth, since I've gotten different stories from him.

I couldn't care less about the money. I just want the antlers back, they've got sentimental value from a particular hunt that was special to me.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bad business with taxidermist?

Not really. I would send a certified letter letting him know of your intentions to procede with legal actions. If no response then call the police. Sorry to hear about it but there are rats in every business. They are your antlers.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:46 AM

Your local police department will not be able to help you much since it is a cival matter. You would have to go through the court process to be reimbursed on any losses or to retrieve your antlers (assuming he will not give them back). I totally believe you, but he may have a different story like; you did not pay him an amount agreed on, a proper down payment, or pick up your mount when you were scheduled to. That's why the police can't get involved other than maybe doing a cival stanby while you and this man talked. But I agree, if you show him that you are going to take it to the courts if the matter is not resolved, he will probably give in.............By the way, I'm in the same boat.......My taxidermist has had four ducks of mine for four years and each time I ask him about them, he says he hadn't got to them yet.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:45 AM

I totally agree..... the certified letter ususally gets peoples attention. If not, have one drafted by a local attorney and sent to the guy. Those are about 100% in getting a response from who ever you are after. Otherwise small claims is yourbest bet. Sorry for all the trouble that you are going through.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Do the certified letter and post the problem on a local web site. Bad news travels faster than good news. Good Luck.