Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Is this possible?  Interchangeable racks? >

Is this possible? Interchangeable racks?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Is this possible? Interchangeable racks?

Old 07-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Is this possible? Interchangeable racks?

Would it be possible to mount a buck cape on a form, while somehow leaving the hide around the pedicals "loose" and an open seam split down the center of the skull cap (not glued down, just sewn shut) - so that you could cut the threadssometime later, andswap out one skull cap for another?

Say a guy would kill a 100" buck, and want it mounted. Then, he kills a 110" buck the next season, and doesn't want to pay for a second shoulder mount...

Instead of having to mount the whole thing over again, would it be possible to leavethe firsthead "open" to swap out the rack at a later time?

Obviously, you'd have to re-stitch the hide, and it wouldn't fit "perfect," but it could work for some people - especially on "borderline" wallhangers.

One would thinkthere's a market niche for this kind ofthing - especially guys who have racks laying around that they've always "wanted" to mount, or guys with demolished capes. They could just log on ebay and buy a universal shoulder mount - and pop the rack in at home.

Make sense?
Old 07-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is this possible? Interchangeable racks?

It would be cool if there was a thing like that
I wish there was a way to do that
again it would be cool
Old 07-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

By the way - if any of you budding taxi's would like to "attempt" it "risk-free" - I'd be willing to pay for the form and supply the cape this fall...
Old 07-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

A friend of mine's father lives in Montana anddoes elk that he attaches square pegs to the antlers and makes square holes in the mold. He then is able to insert and remove the antlers from the actual mount.He does this mainly because he ships a lot of mounts back east and it's easier to ship smaller packages. I know it doesn't sound like it might work, but he takes great pride in how he's doing it. I've seen a few of his elk and they really turned out nice. I would imagine this could be done with whitetail with smaller pegs and wouldn't need any re-stitching of the cape.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:18 PM

ya, it could be done, but taxi's all over would be screaming at you! because the width would be only what the orignal pegs were set at, as pa bow hunter said removable antlers, i do them on elk, moose.
some of you may remember the first few post i put on here about "the 24 hour antelope mount" well i caught so much crape about it. well i tell you what i got a lot of bussiness from this. here's how,
say 2-4 guy's are coming out goat hunting, and they want thier goats mounted but don't want to wait a year to see the goat again. and pay for the $250.00 shipping and crating fee.
here what i do, i mount 4 goats with pegs, long before they get out here, then when they shoot thier goat i boil off the shell of the horn, and cool, borax and fill with bondo, then peg the to the ecact width thier goat was.
works for most and they get to take thier goat home the next day!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm following ya - so if someone was to make a plastic skull cap, with pre-formed square peg slots in it...

And they sold pairs of corresponding plastic pegs...

You could saw off your antlers, then glue the plastic pegs at the bases, then just plug them right into the slots that are built-in to the mount, right?

Would work for sheds - old racks - etc... But, the downside would be that you'd have to cut them off of the skull cap forever.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

It is possible to change out racks on a mount, without the need for removable antlers. However, it depends on the supplies used during the initial mount. I wouldn’t suggest trying it with a mount done with epoxy. I also don’t like the idea of doing it with a mount that used DP instead of tanning, but that’s just my speculation, as I’ve never tried it. It’s certainly not a new idea, and I doubt you find anyone to do it for “cost:”
Old 07-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is a guy on E-bay selling skull caps for shed to mount. And there is a differant guy that sells heads without antlers to put your own rack on. you just have to close up the hole.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 130woodman

....And there is a differant guy that sells heads without antlers to put your own rack on. you just have to close up the hole.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. I looked, but can't find it. Got a link?
Old 07-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I couldn't find him I have only seen him a couple of times. You can do that to almost any Mount The skull plate is screwed in. First locate were it is sewen up in the back and cut the string then you can see the skull plate and take it out and replace it with a differant one. Or just wait until that guy list another one. I will keep an eye out.