Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Where do I start........ >

Where do I start........

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Where do I start........

Old 04-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Where do I start........

I've always have had interest in taxidermy. I've been doing european mounts for 3 years now....but want to go a step farther. But I'll be honest.....I don't know a lot about taxidermy other than european mounts.

I have some knives and a basement.....what other 'taxidermy tools' do I need. I will also point out that this will be a hobby, not for a living. So I don't want to spend a lot of money. What other equiptment will I need to get started?

Where do I start? Some recommend books, other say videos, some even recommend classes. What do you think is the best step. Also, what books, videos, or schools do you recommend?

I see a lot of kits (example: WASCO). Are these kits a good start?

What kind of animal should I start with? Some say deer because they are bigger. Others say squirrels because the are plentiful. What do you think?

I've been spending some time at www.taxidermy.com and reading their forum. It is helpfull, but I still don't understand all the termonology? any advice/tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Where do I start........

There is an enormous amount of info at taxi.net, but until you understand the terminology, I can see where it would be confusing. Before getting too far, get a video from WASCO or McKenzie that goes through the caping/fleshing steps completely. I think they each have at least one. Once you understand caping, fleshing, and turning, things will start to make more sense. The video will also help you decide what other tools you may want. Just a warning though, getting into taxidermy isn't cheap.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input. That helps.

Just a warning though, getting into taxidermy isn't cheap
How much am Ilooking at $$ if I plan on doing1-2 mounts per year? Someone from taxi.net said you can pick up a lot of tools at just a local craft store.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Zubba, I just started mounting deer for a year now. I too am doing it for a hobby. When I first started I believe I spent over $400.00 just for the basics to mount whitetails, no fancy air brush, a good stand, but not the one I am getting now, etc. That was just for tools and materials such as clay, and apoxy, etc. that you'd use on several deer. I am now going to takle the challenge of mounting a turkey in full strut, and just order the addition materials to do that. I spent over $300 and keep in mind, that's just for tools and I still have to build my tumbler since I think I can build one for half the price they want. It can get expensive, but I do enjoy it and the challenges. The best thing I experienced with taxidermy is when a friend of ines son killed his first buck and he asked me to mount it and being able to! It was awesome to see his look when he walked in and saw it on the wall.

Good luck, hope this helps. I learned by watching several videos and thru a friend who's a taxi.... I like to watch more than one video, because some people have different ways of doing things and you can take different things from all the videos an apply it in your work! Again, good luck!
Old 04-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

You have to assume it's going to be a long term hobby. If it's not, it's not really worth the time and effort. If you enjoy a real challenge, you'll enjoy taxidermy. To only do 1 or 2 mounts per year, you'd actually be money ahead to just pay someone to do them. It takes many, many, mounts to get decent. And every mount you do will cost money. I say this not to discourage you from trying. Just to let you know that ittakes more than a mount or two to "learn" taxidermy. It takes an enormous amount of time and practice. Most of your money will end up being spent of forms, tanning supplies, and every other thing you decide you just "have" to have.On the up side, after much practice, you'll be able to take in a little work and try to at least break even.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

Zubba,

First you would probably want to get a video of whatever you wanted to mount first. The video will most likely show some of the tools you will need. Most of the kits will come with all the supplies you will need.
Downfall to kits is they will only come in certain sizes. You could start that way but i would eventually get everthing seperate and you have more choices on quality.
If it was me i would start with deer, it doesn't have to be a buck it can be a doe, your pretty much just practicing on the first ones anyway. I'm sure you will mount more deer for yourself than have 20 squirrels on the wall.
Also get some reference photos before you get started.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think a squirrel would be a good starting point. I also used a WASCO kit for my first few. The kits are a bit pricey until you can buy stuff in bulk such as clay, preservative and such. But for starting out they give you what you need.

Squirrels are easy to obtain and have a very tough skin for skinning. If you mess one up its easy to get another.

Skinning the toes are very tricky. My first few I'd only skin to the toes which resulted in shrunken toes. Little by little I'd skin them to the last joint. It takes practice.

Deer heads I feel are a bit easier but it is sometimes hard to get practice deer when you will make mistakes starting out. Then you end up with a bunch of small bucks everywhere and have to listen to the wife complain.

Its just easier to get another squirrel if you happen to mess something up.

I would reccomend the John Rinehart Tanning Solution as opposed to the dry preservative they give you in the kits. Its easy to use and I feel it is better. Or you could send out the cape. But it will shrink a bit and you will need to remeasure.

I found that using the JRTS resulted in less shrinking of the cape and my measurements were more accurate.

I'm no pro. I just started messing around with it a couple years ago, so I know where you are coming from.

I've done several squirrels, a few pheasants and several deer.

The pheasants weren't too bad to do. skinning was a little tricky though.

Go ahead and try your hand at it. You'll learn more with each mount.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:41 PM

i started by just gettin magazines like van dykes and MaKenzie