Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Mounting small animals >

Mounting small animals

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Mounting small animals

Old 02-19-2007, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default Mounting small animals

Hey guys,

I have little experience with taxidermy, but tried mounting a squirrel last year which didnt turn out too bad. Since then, I have been skinning the squirrels and rabbits I shoot justto get good with the process. I findthat skinning around thefeet and ankles seem to be the mostdifficult areas.Do you guys generally leave the bones in the toes when you do a mount? What about rabbits? Usually whenI try to skin a rabbit, the skin tears just before the joint in the legs. DoI need more patience skinning around this joint? I wasnt able to find any clear instructions on the net about skinning the foot/ankle areas for a mount.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mounting small animals

I can't answer for others but I skin to the toe nails on squirrels. Rabbits are really tough to do because their skin is so thin. Stick with squirrels, if you can mount a squirrel you can mount anything.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:32 AM

I have not done any mounting yet but I skin all the way to the toe nail too it takes time but is not really that hard
Old 02-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

do any of you have any picks of how you skin a squirrel, especially around feet and head area?I did a pigeon in high school (long time ago). I was thinking of ordering a squirrel kitand trying that. Just wanted info on how to skin a squirrel the right way. Does anyone have a good video for this!
Thanks a bunch!
crutch
Old 03-19-2007, 01:38 PM

go to book store and buy a book on it they really helo ive done a couple squrrels and a coon and pheasant and deer oh and a couple mice (hehe) but i dont always go that far you only have to go to the toes at most on my first one i only wenthalf way down the feet and it turned out good.
if its your first one or first couple you should buy a kit im only fifteen and bought it and i got it right first try so it works pretty good